Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mushy408
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

SNR Margin reset?

Can someone help me out with this.

I've recently been through all this at my friend's house with his sky DSL connection and having the line retrained to achieve it's maximum capability.

Can I request for my phoneline to be entered into the 10-day retraining with the DLM? The reason I ask is our line seems to be capped at 6500KBps with a downstream SNR margin of 9.6dB, although the BT speed checker indicates we should be getting ~10-11Mb

Can this be done without having to spend 40 mins on hold to be cut off?

Over at Sky they were more than happy to communicate via Private Messages to retrain the connection.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: SNR Margin reset?

Hi Welcome to the forum can you please post your full hub stats as shown below and than someone should be able to offer further advice
If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the full results.

And post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

you need an snr reset not  line retraining 

0 Ratings
mushy408
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

BT Speedtester results are as follows:

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 6505 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6505 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7648 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.22:20.66:68.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 340 Kbps

0 Kbps448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 340 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

Hub stats are as follows:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:53:25
Downstream7,648 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.3 dB / 27.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)31.0 dB / 16.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)484 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)3 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)3

Can I request a line re-train then? I've checked on a few ISP websites using both postcode & phone number checks and all are saying 10-11Mb connection. ATM we're synced at 7.6Mb - this to me suggests the line needs retraining since we have been a BT customer for 7 years plus and this has been done ONCE when we first setup our connection.

Once the line has been retrained, I'd estimate around 10Mb indicated by our line attenuation based on a target SNR of 7.0dB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

your modulation of 992.1 shows you are on adslmax with a max speed of 8mb so at the moment you are almost as fast as it goes.  your exchange may be about to be upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+ and you need to check your exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Bt normally issue an email davising when your exchange is upgraded and ready for rollout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Hi you are on adsl1 an up to 8mb service no amount of retraining will increase your speed i am sorry to say you need to check to see if your exchange has been upgraded to asdl2try the samknows website to see if it has been
0 Ratings
mushy408
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Just checked our exchange (West street Hoyland) and it has already been upgraded to 21CN as of 2006.

Green

ADSL available at ~6Mbps

BT Total broadband
TalkTalk LLU
Sky LLU
AOL broadband (non-LLU)
Pipex broadband
Plusnet broadband
Tiscali broadband
AOL LLU
Tiscali TV
And many more...
Be Unlimited
O2 broadband
UK Online (incl 20M packages)
Sky Max (LLU)
Red
Cable services not available
Red
FTTC services not available
Green
BT 21CN services available
Red
Wireless services not available

Might be worth looking into Sky, at least they don't throttle your connection at peak time...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I didn't see a date for the 21CN upgrade but 2006 was for adslmax and it seems a bit early for 21CN.

if it has been upgraded and ready, normally there is a date, then contact the mods and see if they can help you get switch to 21CN.  with your attenuation should make a big difference to your connection http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Hi Bt only cap P2P at peak times no other caps exist
0 Ratings
mushy408
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

I'm sorry to say this, but isn't the exchange & equipment owned by YOU (BT), yet you cannot tell if your own equipment has been upgraded or not? Surely this is a lack of communication between engineers etc?

The exchange clearly shows is HAS been upgraded to 21CN, although no upgrade date was given. The only answers I have found useful so far is an email from a Mr McFarland @ BT Support...

Quote:

"Thanks for getting in touch. I've reset your line profile this afternoon and it should start to take effect within the next 3 hours. It'll only take 72 hours for the line to settle down again but it will reset your SNR Margin to 6dB and any other caps or restrictions which may have been present will also be removed.

If you need any other help feel free to get back to me.

Kind regards,

Dean
BTCare Forum Moderator"

So I was correct when I said the downstream SNR margin was high & could be improved on. Also in regards to 'capping' connections - like most other ISP, traffic management is used at peak times - this is common knowledge. From what I've noticed it's from around 4.30pm until 10-11pm some nights.

This would explain the speedtest results being ~6-7Meg during the day, then at peak times it's sometimes as low as 2Meg.

Anyways, I'm not here to argue over it. I'm simply just stating the facts from my own observations.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

the exchange is owned by BT wholesale and the engineers are BT openreach whereas the forum is BT retail which is your ISP.  OFCOM have ruled that BT retail ISP cannot be treated any different to any other ISP like SKY,TT etc so as you can see your first statement is incorrect.  They are all part of the BT group but operate independently

if your noise margin has been reset then great and if your line remains stable then you should have no mre problems - unless you ger any more resets/disconnections

0 Ratings