Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

SNR Reset :)

Go to solution

My broadband speed used to be around 5mb-6mb. Then a 2-3 of months ago it dropped and is now 1.2mb-1.8mb. It had been 5mb+ for a few years.

The problem is the noise. I have tried everything there is to do with regard trying to reduce noise levels. Moved wiring, plugged direct into socket, moved router, tried different router/cables, and a lot more. The speed is the same on the wired PC as for the laptops and mobile devices. The reason it has taken so long to come on here is that I need to change something, and then wait for 3 days to see if it changes. However, the SNR has always stayed the same. The BT quiet test is silent.

Last week I installed a Openreach faceflate to split the the sigals at the socket, and also used a shielded phone cable. Results are still the same. All electronic equipment within 2 meters is now off. I would have thought these latter changes would have made a difference, but the SNR seems to be stuck.

As some of my work relies on fast data transfer, I now have to use a Windows VPS to get a transfer rate of 30-45 milliseconds, whereas here it is 100-160ms. It was 45-60 for a few years until recently.

BT Speed Test

We haven't been able to complete the speed test at this time.

This may be due to a problem with the speed tester, or your line may be running very slowly. 

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Speed 1.85
Upload 0.37
Ping atency 32.88

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.85 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

BT Router (Belkin router gives the same results)

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 17:14:05
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.9 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.1 dB / 15.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):78 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):62 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

75 / 1

Thanks 🙂

Keith

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: SNR Reset :)

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

you are on adlsmax with the max connection speed of 8mb.  your noise margin won't go any lower no matter how hard you try as you are on max speed.

the problem is not your noise margin but your profile is down at 2mb and therefore restricting your download speed.  you need to stay connected 24/7 for 3+ days to give automatic system a chance to change profile to correct figure of 7.15mb.  if after 3+ days still at 2mb then repost your router stats and btspeedtester diagnostic results and mods will help get profile corrected to 7.15mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The router has been connected 24/7 for over a year, apart from the odd reboot. Nothing has changed for months regardless of how long it has been on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
once you can post adsl stats showing 3 days + then the forum mods may become involved and arrange an IP profile reset unless you check the adsl stats regularly you will not be aware of hub disconnections
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

'Connected 24/7' refers to being connected to the intenet not just powered up. Your stats show just 17hrs connected so need to get to 3+before posting new stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Yes I know that say 17hrs, but that is because I rebooted it yesterday when I changed its name. Apart from the time I have changed things like wires, faceplate, etc, and reset the router to start a new 3 days, it is never off. This will be the umpteenth 3 days in the last few days.

I'll wait till Monday, but nothing will change in the stats, they never do.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

your profile is more than likely stuck at 2mb which happens with connections on max 8mb but the mods won't manually reset until the automatic system has had a chance to correct the profile hence the connection time of 3+ days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks 🙂

Here we go, same stats as it has been for months 🙂

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:3 days, 01:04:40
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.8 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.1 dB / 15.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):316 / 7
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):268 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):299 / 7

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Download: 1.87
Upload: 0.35
Ping 44.75

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Once the Forum Mods have read your post they will post an invite here once you reply to them they will take personal ownership of the problem until resolved.
Do not send them a Personal Message as this is the incorrect contact method and cannot be properly tracked also the mod contacted may not be on shift for sometime and this will delay your help

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
can you please post the further diagnostic part of the BT Speedtest
0 Ratings