Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

SNR & Gaming

Hello fellow gamers.

I have discovered that by having a higher than normal SNR (normal being the level that the DLM has chosen for you) you will receive a much better gaming connection.

In a BT exchange there is a machine called the DSLAM, this is where the line that runs from your house goes to and within the DSLAM is a system called DLM (Dynamic Line Management system)

These machines will automatically chose an SNR level that best suits your line so that you receive the fastest possible speed.

BUT, dont think that by having the fastest possible speed that you will gain the best possible gaming connection!!

By raising the SNR level 3 or even 6 db will slow down you speed half a MB or so but will seriously improve your gaming connection.

SNR means noise margin and you can check what yours is from your routers settings, look here if your need help http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php .

... And another thing dont be fooled by the fibre optic commericals, you dont need those super fast speeds for gaming. 2MB is plenty, just as long as your not doing anything else on the net at the same time.

I hope this helps you gamers out there. I know how frustrating it can be!

Peace.

P.S. theres just 1 problem   :no:  actually getting Virgin, BT or who ever to change the snr settings for you can be quite difficult.   ???  GOOD LUCK!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: SNR & Gaming

Did you not have any luck with virgin, did you try and induce the noise back!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

1 of the Virgin mods on their forum told me they could "Lock" my snr and that i needed to phone up to raise a "trouble call ticket". So i phoned up and they put me on hold while they spoke to BT but BT said they weren't willing to send anyone out to the exchange. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Sounds like a bluff from Virgin to me bt wholesale would do a reset sounds like virgin did not want to bother
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

A reset?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Hi as was said by the forum mods on your other post it could be done but they did not feel it would be any benefit this most probably why they are reluctant to fix your noise margin other wise they would have reset you snr higher
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Hello John

Yea that method would just see the snr return to the way it was after a week or so.

There has to be other ways, ways which ensure the snr stays up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

only by a physical reset by bt wholesale and as had been said there is no guarantee it will achieve what you want
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Are you saying a phisical reset will ensure the snr stays high?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Not at all it can be set high but if the line remains stable then over a period of time the exchange equipment will reduce the noise margin again to a lower level
As suggested Just leave the noise margin alone there is no guarantee it will stay high
0 Ratings