cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

SNR borked (Yet again). Can anyone please help to reset it?

Morning all. So for a few months of relatively consistent performance (only a few outages a day) I woke up to day to find my SNR for my line has been set to 12.2db, after it being set to 6db. 

For context. I have had to kick and scream to initially get my line upgraded to ADSL2, and using my router I have been able to tune it to get a reliable 9mbps - at 12.2db as it is now this has fallen to 6mbps. The Openreach/BT Speedcheck only has my area as getting up to 4mbps. 

can anyone please assist to help get my profile reset back to 6db?

Thanks

DV27

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: SNR borked (Yet again). Can anyone please help to reset it?

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Message 3 of 9

Hi @DV27,

Can you post the router stats as suggested by @XRaySpeX. If you try the quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your BT Landline. Do you hear any noise or interference down the line?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Here are my line stats: 

Untitled.jpeg

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi, is there any update as to any assistance with my issue?

I am still at 12db SNR which is giving me 5mbps - line noise test was silent. 

Right now I'm having to work from home with an almost 50% reduction of broadband speed. It is a disruption I'd rather not have.

Thanks

DV27

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

there is nothing in stats that shows connection time - have you been having problems with connection dropping and/or resetting router to try and improve your conenction?

it looks like you are in a banded profile hence the higher noise margin and lower speed.  this should correct itself provided connection is stable for 5/7 days

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Yes, I have always had issues with disconnections (at least once per day). However that was stable over the last few months and the SNR has remained at 6db. This has allowed me to get the performance I need from the line and as few CRC errors being registered. 

I have no faith that suddenly it'll all tune itself out after 5-7 days. I have always had issues with this line, even though I'm only around 300 meters away from my cabinet and one mile away from my exchange.

Also, Superfast Essex and Openreach have no intention on upgrading my cabinet to Fibre, and my only option for superfast broadband will be when Gigaclear get around to putting FTTP fibre in, which they are contracted to do before december 2019.

All I want is for my SNR to be put back to 6db so I can get the speed I expect (and overpay for). 

EDIT: another screenshot with connection time:

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi, can someone please help with this. It's now onto day three. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

until you can get a stable conenction - currently showing 1+ day then a noise margin reset is pointless.  you will just end up back where you started in a banded profile with high noise margin within days    until you solve the disconenction problem or get engineer visit to solve the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.