cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 20

SOLVED - BT HUB3 intermittent dropping Broadband link

Do you have BT Infinity with the BH HomeHub3 that keeps dropping connections to the Internet?

Tried everything that BT advised and still dropping out?

Spent hours chasing BT ?

Swapped over the HUB3 with yet another replacement from BT and still the same fault?

I had all this, but now good news, I have a fix.

I now have 100% solid up time to my Infinity link and permanent wireless links to 5 devices around my house. PLUS I'm getting regular download speeds near to the 33MB I was originally advised by BT sales.

So what's the fix?

Easy, take the HUB3 unit , put it in a box and send it back to BT.

Purchase a decent router from an alternative reputable supplier and use this instead.

Seriously folks, I tried everything and just couldn't run for more than 24hrs without the firetrucking HUB3 rebooting. Even replacement BT hubs had the same problem. Trust me it' s nothing to do with heat, or too many downloads, or Solar activity, or not aligning the HUB West to East, or noisy phone lines or whatever BT can think of. It's simply the HUB !

I just had enough of dealing with BT reading from a script and was desperate for my Internet back again. So I purchased a Netgear n600 wireless dual band router (wndr3400) off of ebay for £55.

Installed it and have had solid Internet connection ever since with multiple WiFi links established at +200mbs....not one glitch!

This is not an advert for Netgear, but as soon as I connected as Admin and went through the set up ...OMG ...you realise how immature the BT hub is. 

Stop fannying around and replace the HUB. 

You could argue why the heck should you pay for another router, but at the end of the day do you want it fixed - because BT haven’t fixed it for any of you to date.

Get a proper router. (Without ADSL as you already have this as part of the other box supplied with the Infinity kit) 

Good luck 🙂

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Rottie
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: SOLVED - BT HUB3 intermittent dropping Broadband link

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I would have to point out that like most other ISPs, BT tend to supply a router that will suit the majority of non-technically minded customers, primarily just so that the customer can hit the ground running, to coin a phrase.

I used the HH2 (Infinity version) for a fair few months and could clearly see its failings, but for some people, it is a perfectly servicable router, provided that you don't want to do anything more than simplistic routing tasks with it. If you do, then you are going to run into its limitations pretty fast. In fact, at one stage, I went so far as stating on these fora that if the Home Hub's web interface was any more watered down, it would need "Volvic" branding all over it. 😛

I, as a personal preference, chose to upgrade to a Netgear WNR3500L and have recommended this router to numerous others on these fora, with a couple of people making a purchase of this router as a direct result of my posts and so far (all digits crossed) haven't had any of those people PMing me, telling me that I steered them in the wrong direction. 😉

That having been said, there are other alternative routers out there which would do the job just as well, if not better than either the Home Hub series, or indeed the WNR3500L that I recommend, but ultimately, it is down to the end user to decide whether or not the Home Hub (or indeed any router, for that matter) is "fit for the purpose", depending on their needs and their individual network topology. 🙂

**Edited to evict the typo gremlin yet again** 😉

Mana
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

very nice post rottie.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 20

@Rottie wrote:

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I would have to point out that like most other ISPs, BT tend to supply a router that will suit the majority of non-technically minded customers, primarily just so that the customer can hit the ground running, to coin a phrase.

I used the HH2 (Infinity version) for a fair few months and could clearly see its failings, but for some people, it is a perfectly servicable router, provided that you don't want to do anything more than simplistic routing tasks with it. If you do, then you are going to run into its limitations pretty fast. In fact, at one stage, I went so far as stating on these fora that if the Home Hub's web interface was any more watered down, it would need "Volvic" branding all over it. 😛

I, as a personal preference, chose to upgrade to a Netgear WNR3500L and have recommended this router to numerous others on these fora, with a couple of people making a purchase of this router as a direct result of my posts and so far (all digits crossed) haven't had any of those people PMing me, telling me that I steered them in the wrong direction. 😉

That having been said, there are other alternative routers out there which would do the job just as well, if not better than either the Home Hub series, or indeed the WNR3500L that I recommend, but ultimately, it is down to the end user to decide whether or not the Home Hub (or indeed any router, for that matter) is "fit for the purpose", depending on their needs and their individual network topology. 🙂

**Edited to evict the typo gremlin yet again** 😉

You are 100% correct Rottie. I do not know of any ISP that suppies a router other than a "bog standard" one no matter what hype they give it in their sales blurb. Just look at the VM S/hub fiasco which has still not been fully resolved after 12mths!

As you say it is down to user choice of what flavour of router they use to suit their needs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

My original Internet link was a simple BT ADSL modem and a USB connector. (Ha, those were the dayze!).

I then upgraded this to a Linksys WAG54g wireless ADSL router and ran for years without any problem (OK there was the occasional power resets required, say twice a year) Until one day it just stopped working \0/ 

So I found a BNIB unwanted BT HH2 on ebay. Yes very much plug and go and it suited my needs of 3-4 Wifi devices and a wired PS3 (for the kids you understand!). It wasn't faultless and I  would itermitently loose my Internet connection..a lot more than the Linksys ever did.....say once a month.  A simple reset on the side cleared it 30secs so I lived with it. 

Recently decided to go for the Infinity as it was a simple upgrade path. (Better the Devil you know)

Since using the HH3 it has been nothing but problems. I know my line is good and am lucky to be close to the exchange and have enjoyed a good level of connectivity. Whilst I undersatand the HH3 is a simple to use HUB for the masses, it really does fall down on the reliability. I would be happy to keep the HH3 had any of them worked. I just wanted the HH3 to match the uptime of the Linksys or even HH2.

I don't intend comparing the HH3 to the Netgear as this would not be a like for like comparison. But what was so striking for me was the total transformation by simply swapping out the HH3. 

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 20

Hi Pike,

I agree with you about the quality of the HH3.

I also started up with the BT speedtouch usb modem, and have gone through HH1 and HH2 before signing up to HH3.

I am now on my second HH3 - the first one's gigabit port was breaking down (this is why I was getting 2Kbps upload speed) and the 3 x 100Mbps couldn't make their mind up whether they were 100 or 10 Mbps ports.

The second HH3 (still verA not the new B) has still got the confused ports, I've had to buy a gigabit network switch to get a reliable speed on my wired network - just praying that the gigabit port on the HH3 stand the strain!

All we want is reliable equipment - modems that don'e catch fire and routers that work - those that want the extra statistics have the option of buying routers that give that info - I don't want to be checking what my profile, speed and ping are every day to see if anything is going wrong - and this is what I'm doing!.

My wife if thinking I'm getting paranoid about this infinity - I just want my life back - I want to turn on my PC and know I'm going to get a decent connection.

Here endeth the sermon - and it's not even Sunday.

All the best

Michael

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 20

Michael,

I don't use my own router for extra statistics. I use it to enable me to have rock steady connection and to be able to preform any networking that I wish to tax it with.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Hi Pippin.

I'm with you there - all I'm trying to say is that BT should be providing us with equipment that is capable of doing the job - and not making people buy their own gear becauses BT's is not very goodSmiley Surprised

I have had a whisper, that the problem of the 100MBps port giving out 10Mbps, might be being looked at.

Michael

0 Ratings
MHB1
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Netgear would solve what appears to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the BT Home Hub?  Only the Windows 7 PCs on our network suffer the annoyingly frequent internet link drops you mention (and also a MAC).

Thank you!

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

@MHB1 wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Netgear would solve what appears to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the BT Home Hub?  Only the Windows 7 PCs on our network suffer the annoyingly frequent internet link drops you mention (and also a MAC).

Thank you!

Some Netgear users response in links on THIS THREAD.

I'm using a Win 7 laptop with a HH3 over wireless "n" and I have never had a drop out.

The laptop is about 30' rom the HH3 thru a plasterboard wall.

Anyhow before you take the plunge and part with your hard earned cash, if your using a wireless connection and getting these drops, have you changed the HH3 off of it's automatic wireless setting onro a clear/least congested wireless channel.

Some info thru links on THIS POST.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings