cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 20

Re: SOLVED - BT HUB3 intermittent dropping Broadband link

I also occasionally for a few days at a time go back to the HH3 and am on Windows 7 and can see no compatability problems.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

Thanks. In the meantime have hooked up an Edimax router direct to BT Hub so it handles the wireless routing and so far looks to have dealt with the internet drop out issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 20

Having had connection for some 7 months all was fine till some 6 weeks back. Wireless than would just drop from 35 meg to 0.5 meg ...and would go back to 8meg and so forth.

Eventually wired signal (ethernet cabled) would also drop. Having contacted BT sent .... and reset Hub etc ...prob still there.

Two engineer visits ...second chap replaces Hub ....even worse now. Well than third engineer ...poor chap spent 3 hours + ...trying to find problem...all leads form outside to main BT box..checked.. all was fine.

Than I find post by dontelllhimpike on here and realise must be Hub ... Finally I get New Hub sent By BT .... but they mess up on delivery ...so on complaining ...now I receive 2 Hubs ... well guess what ....the one Tech support sent IS ALSO FAULTY .

However brand New one sent ...with starter pack works perfectly...

So in effect engineer supplied faulty Hub replacement and one from Tech support also sent faulty Hub ... this is a nightmare.

Effectively the replacement Hubs are either faulty returns ,which are than just resent to other customers.

Am just lost for words as I was lucky to discover this issue .... otherwise this would have gone on forever..

Oh by the way ...I had now called BT on some 20 ocasssions as well ,spending hours taking to them...

They have to resolve this Hub issue ...or as dontelllhimpike ,well points out just buy a good quality replacement.

So always double check Hub ....this is more than likely the problem ...and DONT ASSUME REPLACEMENT ,will not be faulty as well..

Its a mad world....

UPDATE

Spoke to Bt again to air my concerns and were receptive .....but additionally was given good explanation ...

If having problems make sure you request the 

HUB : B  Version and Router :3B version

I dont belive they are sending faulty routers ....just the software versions are causing issues as they are now using new Manufacturer (Thompson I think) ..

Well at the moment am a Happy camper as all is Good...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 20

I've just registered here to say that I was having exactly the same problems for several weeks, and tried all kinds things to help to no avail. The wifi connection would drop out on a regular basis, and often at the weekend I would be disconnected every 10 minutes or so. The bandwidth would also be very poor, with youtube videos often pausing and buffering etc.

Eventually I was frustrated enough to buy a replacement wifi router and I have had a rock solid wifi connection now for over a week, and I am getting >20mbps over wifi. So finally I am getting the kind of service I was hoping for.

The router I bought was one of the cheapest available at £42.50. It is the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. It was easy to set up and I have no complaints so far.

I'm not sure what the problem was with the BT router. Perhaps part of it is that it is offering the BTOpenZone channel and the BTFON channel in addition to my personal wifi channel. I'm not sure how much that would comprimise the reliability, but it surely can't help. Maybe there are firmware problems as well as I have seen suggested on some forums.

Anyway - a little over £40 for a robust wifi connection is a small price to pay. You could argue that BT should get their router right to start with, but perhaps the service is subsidised by the openzone + BTFON channels, and I am happy that at least I've had the option to rid myself of them by switching to another router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Great advice.

In my experience you don't need a Home HUB3 to lose access across the BT Broadband service.

I have replaced my ADSL Modem Router 3 time in the past year to fix BT's poor delivery of reliable broadband.

Now I am being told to go INFINITY at an additional cost per month? why because they can not resolve their infrastructure problems originally designed only for voice.

Changing to another service provider does not solve the problem because the alternate service is provide over the local BT Infrastructure.

I am continually told it is due to interference on the ‘Line’ but who provides the line in to the property, BT?

Lots of helpful advice over the past 6 years but still no resolution to the on-going service interruptions

We need more BT Broadband customers to complain!

Robin J Allison CEng, FBCS, CITP, MIEEE, ITU, CITT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 20

Just upgraded to BT infinity.  WOrks for 5 minutes, amazing speeds then pauses and unable to connect to the internet.  INterestingly if I use gmail it seems to punch through the block.  Will purchase a new router.  I need a router with a great range and compatible with sonos.  I'll spend anything up to £300 for something reliable.  Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 20

Pretty good advice, but theres an easier way without going to the post office, if you still have your 2 wire gateway router use that instead, if theres a sticker over the fibre socket take it off and throw it away, it does work just fine, no more dropped connections, been up all day for me
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

This thread was started three years ago and the last post was over a year ago so you might not get a reply.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

Four months with BT Infinity. Three engineer visits, 2 Home Hub 5's,  Your router is having problems connecting to the broadband - multiple times a day. BT say "Well I don't know what else to do then. You've had an engineer and a new Hub." I'm away to buy a compatable Hub now. Thanks guys.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

@debzisme wrote:

Four months with BT Infinity. Three engineer visits, 2 Home Hub 5's,  Your router is having problems connecting to the broadband - multiple times a day. BT say "Well I don't know what else to do then. You've had an engineer and a new Hub." I'm away to buy a compatable Hub now. Thanks guys.

If you are having problems you would be better to start a new thread stating what your problems are. You may then get assistance relevant to you.

0 Ratings