Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: SPAM WITH CHINESE LETTERS IN FROM AND SUBJECT

@REDBANKUK wrote:
Thanks Keith. What do you put in the filter for chinese spam ?

To deal with virtually all spam, add the following filter.

If the Recipient does not contain <put your e-mail address here> then deliver the message to trash.

You may like to create a temporary folder to move it to first, so you can see what is going on.

This filter works because the real spam header has multiple recipients and not just you.

If you subscribe to any mailing lists, then you may have to put a filter above that one, to stop them from being detected by the filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 19

@REDBANKUK wrote:

Andy_N, Keith_Beddoe and wasleys just wanted you to know that of course I am aware there may be legitimate emails written with Chinese Characters BUT the ones I am talking about are clearly SPAM.

Today I received 10 all from the same sender.

Indeed there is plenty on the web and in the press about Chinese spam etc - intelligence forces from various countries are aware that bombarding servers with spam and slowing them down is a from of cyber war by putting a strain on western economies.

Sender Policy Framework (SPF) could be of some help in reducing spam

Hi again.

I am not saying that the Chinese language emails you're receiving were not spam, I was replying to your initial post saying that it's obvious. Indeed it is as I said, but not to a machine/software system.

Clearly you are receiving spam, as you do seem to be getting your fair share of these. I hardy seen any in my (over 50) email accounts - so it's likely that a chinese spammer has unfortunately got your email address and is bombarding it.

Those 10 you've received today may well have the same "sender" as such, but they may perhaps come via different sources of a botnet. The way to check is to look at the emails headers, however it does need a fair bit of knowledge to understand exactly which bits to check.

Spam has been around for years, and indeed is the scourge of email. Over recent years, many ISPs have seen their mail servers put under enormous strain due to spam and virus infected emails for onward transmission. Many these days (e.g. Yahoo) do use much more blocking techniques to help prevent the possible DDoS attacks on their servers.

Keith has given a way to filter based on user address, but that does have some drawbacks - i.e. mailing lists that use Bcc, e.g. a local club etc.

0 Ratings
REDBANKUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Thanks Keith I will try your method - heres hoping !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@Andy_N wrote:

Keith has given a way to filter based on user address, but that does have some drawbacks - i.e. mailing lists that use Bcc, e.g. a local club etc.

Andy,

I use that filter as the last in the chain, after filtering out stuff that I know is good, and moving it to the correct folder.

Although I use the Yahoo filtering, I pick up the mail using Thunderbird and my mobile phone.

I find that the Yahoo filters are quite easy to set up and use.

0 Ratings
REDBANKUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Andy_N yes I know what you mean about the FROM not really being who they are (email spoofing).

I have just helped a friend whose friends in his address book were being bombarded by emails supposedly send from him.

At first we thought it was email spoofing but then he changed his email password and after a day or so they stopped competely; so it looked as though they had somehow got hold of his account.

He had noticed his PC had become distinctly slower and although Malawrabytes and other tools revealed nothing untoward he decided to reformat his hard drive and reinstall windows. It is now back to normal and he is being much more careful about what he opens in email and what he visits on the web !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 19

@REDBANKUK wrote:
Thanks Keith. What do you put in the filter for chinese spam ?

It's #56 in our local takeaway.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
REDBANKUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Is that in batter ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 19

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Reminded me of this recent bout of silliness: http://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Removal-of-Spam/td-p/369137/page/3.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
REDBANKUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Pottyperson no fence taken
0 Ratings