cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 40

Same cabinet as neighbours, no further away, fibre not available

I appreciate that this may not be the place for enquiries on fibre availability, but I have already tried contacting Openreach about this to little avail. I have found the mods here very helpful in the past, so even if it's not possible to solve my issue here, I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction, as I'm not sure what to do next.

I have recently moved and I am hoping to sign up for BT Infinity at some point. I live in a block of flats. Using the various online checkers, I have been able to ascertain that all of the flats around mine are served by the same cabinet, and have fibre availability

The Openreach checker gives me the following message:

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

The thing is, there is no way that I am any further away from the exchange than my neighbours.

This is what I get at dslchecker.bt.com for one of my neighbours (please excuse my messy-looking anonymisation):

neighbours.JPG

And this is what I get for my flat:

me.JPG

I have contacted Openreach about this via an online form. After a nearly two-month wait during which I had to chase a response, they replied with the following:

"Fibre is available to you at your property, however until you have placed an order for a phone line we are unable to give you more accurate details.

Should you have any queries relating to this once you have working phone line please do not hesitate in contacting us and we will investigate this further for you."

I am not sure what to make of this. The previous tenants had BT broadband (presumably non-Infinity), so there is a phone line in the flat and it was in use until a few weeks ago. I don't want to pay for a phone line that I will not use, when there is no guarantee that Openreach will get back to me in a timely manner once I am doing so. Is there any other way around this?

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 40

Re: Same cabinet as neighbours, no further away, fibre not available

No, you must have an active phone line. The number the previous tenants had has possibly migrated with them or reallocated to someone else.

Just make sure that the notes below the checker don't mention a waiters list and you should be good to go the week after you have the phone line activatd.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 40

you need an active phone line in order to be able to place an order for infinity there is no way around that
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 40

Hi pippincp,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware that it was necessary to have an active phone line before being able to order fibre broadband. This isn't consistent with my previous experience.

At my previous address I had had an inactive phone line for several years (we were using Virgin Media) before switching to BT - the online checkers showed fibre as being available and I just ordered online. There was no need to activate the phone line first.

What's different about my new address?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 40

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

If you could have a look at my reply to pippincp that would be much appreciated - I previously ordered Infinity with an inactive phone line - hence my confusion now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 40

Depends how long it's been since there was an active line at the property.

If it's been a number of years then it's unlikely there's any data for the line held within openreach,

Order a like and withon a few days of the line being activated, the various databases will update allowing you to order Infinity.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 40

I should also add (sorry for multiple posts) that when I phoned BT sales I was not told that I would need to activate the phone line first and wait a week.

I was just told that fibre was not available at my address, and if I wanted to know why I should take it up with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 40

Hi Webby,

The line was active a few weeks ago as the previous tenants were using it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 40

correct you have to activate the line then wait while the databases update you can then order fibre services there is no shortcut as the databases say fibre not available until that database is updated
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 40

There could of course just be a database fault!