cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Same old email problem, same old advice

I've sent this complaint - with my name, address and phone number - to BT just now. Leaving a copy here might save others a bit of time, though I'm not hopeful it will resolve the situation. The reference number I was given is edited by mod. I'll post any response I get as appropriate.

Complaint submitted via this web page:  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/write_to_us

===

Dear Sirs

To save you repeating yourselves by trying to give me fruitless advice, I'm going to start by telling you what I already know. Please rest assured though that this is a complaint.

I know that BT have fallen out with Yahoo and that you're transferring our email services to another email provider. I have lately endured an intermittent break in my email service which puts my email out of action for hours at a time. This interrupts my ability to contact my friends - some of them customers of mine - and to fulfil my responsibilities to the charity I have certain duties with AND (you'll be perturbed to hear) prevents me being notified on those regular occasions when my BT bill becomes payable. I am 'paperless' as far as possible; indeed, I congratulate you on providing me with this web form as a means of submitting a complaint to you, though clearly, it seems you're not too fond of email yourselves....

I say intermittent breaks in service; I mean almost daily for about eight months now.

At first I was prompted to call you. I had had a problem - being unable to log on to the email servers - similar to this one some while ago. I understand you 'solved' that by deciding to terminate the contract with Yahoo. I was told on those all too frequent occasions when I contacted you, that when my mail client glitched and prompted me for my password - several times a day for months on end - that if I refrained from logging-in to multiple devices - like a LOT of people, I use my PC, my tablet and when I'm out and about, my smartphone to access my messages - the problem would go away. It almost did. I stopped my devices auto-syncing and services returned to normal.

Like you though, I never understood why such a common situation - millions of people use their email like this these days - should mean the Yahoo email servers couldn't cope. I applaud your decision therefore to look for a better service elsewhere... Can you see where this is going? Please bear with me.

After a few short months, in March 2013 if memory serves, I heard that BT was ditching Yahoo and that my email service would be transferring to the comforting bosom of BT. Or rather, to another American company - but not Yahoo.

Shortly thereafter, this problem started to occur again, though with a slight tweak that has added to my irritation. These days - almost daily for eight months - I find I can't log-on to the Yahoo email servers, I'm given the frightening news that 'suspicious activity' has been detected on my account, and am told, on those frequent occasions when I contact you, that I must change my password and/or I must change my security questions in order to make the problem go away.

Initially I followed your advice. I changed my password. I changed my security questions. I changed them again. I changed them again. I barely know where I was born now, nor who my mother was. Each time though, the problem recurred after a few short days. I checked I wasn't letting my different devices auto-sync as before. I changed the security software on my PC. Nothing changed, so I stopped following your advice.

In bitter reflection of what I presently perceive to be BT's corporate aspirations, I now see that if I leave the problem alone, without taking any action, it goes away. At least it does for a while. As I said, I am now enduring an effective break in service - almost daily for eight months - which lasts for a few hours before everything returns to normal. I stopped wasting my time changing my password. Now I'm hoping you'll stop wasting it my telling me that I should.

Regrettably, I've spoken to two delightful people today - charming and polite both of them - who despite my explaining the above at length couldn't resist telling me I should change my password no less than eight times between them.

You can imagine how I felt. I didn't get her name but I contacted her on 0800 111 4567 and asked her 'What am I doing that triggers the email security alert?' and 'If it's not me, then how long do I have to put up with these service interruptions?' I may not have used those precise words, especially towards the end of our chat, but I was perfectly reasonable. To paraphrase the situation, as far as I can establish from our conversation, the Yahoo email servers are up to their old tricks but the transfer of my email services away from Yahoo is taking longer than you thought. To date 15 months longer than I was originally advised. The email security prompt is originating on the Yahoo servers so there's nothing you can do about it. I'm doing nothing to trigger the security prompts, my account isn't the problem, thousands of customers are in the same situation and the contact centre is getting 'many many' calls on the topic. She went on to tell me that I need to wait 'two months' for the transfer of my email services to the new provider at which point, she assured me, this problem will stop. She then admitted that I wasn't able to obtain this in writing, online, via email or anywhere, before suggesting - for good measure I suppose - that I change my password - again. I told her I didn't believe her and that, by the way, I would be ignoring the advice.

At length, when I advised her that I wished to complain, she gave me a number - 0800 028 3593 - on which I spoke to 'Rajat' in the 'BT Yahoo Level 2 Team'. Again, perfectly reasonably, I asked him to tell me how long this situation is going to persist. Again, perfectly reasonably, Rajat tried to suggest a change of password would somehow help. As you can imagine, I gave him short shrift. He was trying to helpful but it seems his hands were tied.

It is clear after today's conversations that calling your helplines is as fruitless as changing my password etc, so I am now submitting this complaint, perhaps vainly but in the sincere hope that you can answer my simple question in order that I don't take my business elsewhere.

I have established, as I thought, that my email account is not in fact being used in a way that could infer a genuine security problem. Please then, tell me how long it's going to take for my email account to be transferred away from Yahoo?

Please don't tell me to change my password. For the record, I haven't yet paid this month's bill.

Yours sincerely etc...

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Re: Same old email problem, same old advice

Hi Chaff100,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sory you've had so many problems with the email service. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

So effectively an invitation to submit the same concerns twice.... right hand, please meet the left

Done despite misgivings - please remember thsi is complaint. I don't need the technical stuff explaining to me again. rgds
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Yet again BT seem to be screwing up emails. Do they not realise (or do they just not care?) just how much bad feeling is being generated. Some time ago I complained about being bombarded with error messages to the effect that my password was incorrect seemingly every other time I opened Thunderbird to check my emails or to send emails. In the end I just gave in and accepted that all would be well once the "migration" had taken place!

We were given to understand that this would be complete by, I think, 24 May. That date has now passed and I'm still with BT Yahoo - or at least I think I am. 5 minutes ago I began to get a new error message - "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: (#AUTH701) Service is not available; please try again later." The new bit is the #AUTH701. Any ideas anybody. I ask this more in hope than expectation that the problem is going to be solved anytime soon.

For goodness sake BT do get your act together.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Same here my BT E-Mail (Yahoo) is not working, it was ok earlier...

Logged on via Web mail and it took about 6 mins to sign in so I guess they have network issues...

I had an e-mail stating I would be migrated from Yahoo in May, and its June and I am still on Yahoo mail.....

Time get get an outlook.com address i think...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

I think that it is a Yahoo problem: my BT/Yahoo and my direct Yahoo emails are all failing using Outlook & Thunderbird

EDIT: Both back up, at least for now

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Just been and changed my password - yet again - and guess what?  I entered the new password twice, as is required on the change password page and waited and waited and ....... all the time the little green thing kept going round and promised that it was connecting, it was connecting, it was  - you get the idea!!  While this was happening I thought that I would try and access my emails. I used my old password as the little circle was still going round and the error message said that my pw was incorrect. So, I put in the new password (the one that had the little spinning circle still) and lo and behold I was immediately connected. I think that at this point I must have lost my presence of mind....... nuff said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings