cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Scam Calls

Hi, I got a call today from an offshore number saying he was from BT support and that my PC was casing errors. I asked him to verify by phone number, account no and address. He was able to give me my telephone and account number but the call was clearly a scam as he wanted me to download some software.

My concern how did they know my account number. Has anyone else had this experience?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Scam Calls

BT outsourced their customer support to India a few years ago, because it was cheaper.  That means that there is a whole call centre in India full of poorly-paid people with access to BT customers' account details.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi @bon_11 That's quite concerning that they were able to confirm your account number. Please click here for some guidance on what to do if your concerned about your account security. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Hi John, thanks for this quick response, normally when I get a call like this I just hang up, but this time I asked one question, had they my account number. Looking at various posts in google, I came across this link from "Which", https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/bt-phone-scam-nuisance-call-microsoft-technical-support/... Must be relatively common this issue, if Which are making a report about it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

@bon_11 wrote:

Hi, I got a call today from an offshore number saying he was from BT support and that my PC was casing errors. I asked him to verify by phone number, account no and address. He was able to give me my telephone and account number but the call was clearly a scam as he wanted me to download some software.

My concern how did they know my account number. Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi. welcome to the forums.

Like the Which report indicates, unless someone has been had by a phish email - then how these scammers got the account number can really only be guessed, but clearly sounds extremely serious.

There have been other cases, but not a vast amount reported online - so it doesn't seem like a massive leak, which if a rogue employee had access then there might be. Of course, this rogue employee could be writing them down taken "home" a few at a time.

Of course, even one is case is bad.

I always ask for these types of people to say what my IP address is - they never will of course, or that I only use an android tablet, or I use Linux. I've wound up a few over the years.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Hi there.  I got a similar call from someone purporting to be from BT today who claimed that my router IP address had been hijacked and was now being used by hackers.  He said it was an extremely urgent problem and told me to ring a BT support number (which he gave me) immediately.  I decided not to ring the number having heard of similar scams.  However, the guy put on a pretty convincing, confident front, but what got me was that he quoted the actual IP address of my router!  How did he get hold of this?  I am concerned that with both my name, phone number and IP address of the BT Home Hub they have a whole load of data.  When I rang BT and to ask spoke to a lady, who did not appear very technical she said "oh well, these hackers you know they have so many ways of getting this information".  I feel like I'd like BT to give me a new BT identity because it sounds like my details have got into the wrong hands.  Any advice on what to do about this, does it happen often?  

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

ah, answering my own question....looks like I was wrong about that IP address thing.  The Network Settings page on my iMac give an address in the Router box of 192.168.x.xxx (which is the same as the DNS address). Sooo it's not the IP address of my BT Hub - it's some other piece of kit somewhere (what?).  BT say that you can't see the IP address of your own Homehub router on the homehub.home page.  Rest Easy.     

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

You can certainly see your Home Hub's IP address on a Home Hub 4.  I expect the 5 is much the same.

On the Hub4, it's under Advanced Settings, select Broadband, then Internet.

Bear in mind that anyone who knows your IP address can work out very quickly that you're a BT customer.  Any web site you ever visit gets your IP address, so it's no secret.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Funnily enough I got the hijacked IP address call a few months ago. Asked me to download the teamview software etc. When I said can you give me a number to call back on, she gave me an 0161 (Manchester) number that would sound plausible to some people. When I called the number I reached 'The BT Voicemail'! LOL!
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

BT never phone up about this sort of thing so you can be sure it is fake. As soon as they come on and say there is a problem with your broadband or computer I just say "I don't have a computer". The call lasts about 10 seconds and I have not heard from them since.

0 Ratings