cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizada
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Scam calls

I have had the phone calls from 'BT' India trying to get access to my computer which I told them what to do with themselves but today I had one from the 'Office of Fair Trading' again from India (or at least she had an Indian accent) asking me about any debts I had, loans credit cards etc and if I had any late payments. Told her to mind her own business and put the phone down.  I am a retired pensioner and worry about these calls, how do they get my number when I am supposed to be ex-directory. No one seems to be able to stop them.  I am getting paranoid, when I logged on this morning I had a notice that my BT Hub had an update to install and I let it update now I am worried I have downloaded something I shouldn't.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Scam calls

They just dial numbers at random, being ex directory does not make any difference.

Do you have a caller display, so you can see what number is calling?

0 Ratings
lizada
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Its always a witheld number, the ones supposedly from BT where international witheld.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@lizada wrote:

Its always a withheld number, the ones supposedly from BT where international withheld.

BT do offer Anonymous Call Rejection for a small monthly fee, which blocks people who withhold their number. I find it very effective.

International calls, we simply let the answer machine deal with them Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
whitefalcon
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

There are all types of scammers out there. From the consumer complaint site called Callercenter.com, these scammers most reported there are those who got lottery stories, grandson in trouble, hired for a job trick and a lot more. But the most common is this Tech Repair Scam. Scammers call phone numbers and put up a convincing defective computer story. If you're not that knowledgeable about computers, you might just fall. Then there's also that Loan scam. They either say you're quailified ro get a loan or you already got it and you have to pay. Well, whatever they say, as long as you find it suspicious or wrong, don't jump in on the bait.

0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

A retired lady friend of mine has the best approach, when they call asking for her to switch on the PC/divulge details etc, she tells them "hold on a minute, my son said I have to connect this box thingy to the phone and the police can then trace this call"

Needless to say she has yet to have a caller stay on the line.....

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

'A retired lady friend of mine has the best approach, when they call asking for her to switch on the PC/divulge details etc, she tells them "hold on a minute, my son said I have to connect this box thingy to the phone and the police can then trace this call'

I like that one, I will tell that to my old mother. 😉

0 Ratings
SomersetMike
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I just say I don't have a computer and they hang up straight away.
0 Ratings
Marcio35
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I have just had a call from India (a female) claiming that she was from BT and that she has received information over the broadband network that my PC was about to crash. Needless to say, I declined.I then received a text from BT Business Repair asking me to rate the service I received from Darren, is Darren a lady? My main concern is how have they obtained my BT Land Line and mobile number?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

as has been posted before they use auto diallers and random number generators
0 Ratings