cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeatsg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Second VDSL connection

@GG - I hear you of course but having invested in a beautiful LG OLED TV I want as much 4k as I can get and the only 2 sources are Netflix and Amazon. 15 Mbps +/- seems to be the threshold for UHD delivery. So I have few choices. If I could manage (2 X 15) X 90% I'd be laughing. The bonding works well and in extremis I can tether a 4G phone. Costly though.

@Webby - What do you mean by resync? I have switched the HH off/on before proceeding. I have no other control.

I understand what you say. Sometimes I get to talk to an OR person who really understands the issues and is happy to have an engineer-to-engineer conversation. I know that with G.Fast there are even issues with wire pairs in a given single cable. But surely this means that if the problem lies with the later installs, i.e. newer cable configuration at the cabinet, then everyone, probably 50 to 100 people will have the same issue. They would have to fix that I expect.

Of course I have to wait the 10 days but it doesn't look so good right now.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

G.fast not so much as it has vectorinng built into the processing of the signals which reduced crosstalk to almost non existant levels.

Openreach are very much aware of crosstalk and were, at a time, working on vectoring for VDSL however it was put on the back burner while all the resources were piled into G.fast development.

Crosstalk will affect everyone to a degree, some worse than others as it depends on the physical location of the twisted pair within bundle.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 20

@mikeatsg I'm not sure about third party services but BT require 40+Mbps for UHD IPTV. 15Mbps is unlikely to cut it.

As for resyncing; turning the Hub off and on will do it.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 14 of 20

Netflix and Amazon require 25Mbps minimum for 4K streaming.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

I believe netflix actually only streams at 15mbps, but they recommend 25mpbs so you can still use the internet for other things, much like BT TV requires a higher speed than the streams actually utilise.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 16 of 20

A Broadband Boost is not a fault. It's a Service Based Solution Order.

Basically it's a pre-paid Service Openreach offer where they will 'try' to improve the quality of the line fo broadband. It is by no means guaranteed they can.

As mentioned I'd imagine the reason your second line has a lower sync rate because of Cross Talk. Huawei DSLAMS do have Vectoring but it's really only effective up to 400-500m.

In the old days when few people had broadband it was easy to eliminate Cross Talk because say out of a 200 pair cable you could put the 25 DSL users onto different 10 pair bindings but now chances are if all 200 pairs have working lines then chances are 199 of them have DSL on them.

Is watching TV in 4k, whatever that is really that important, will it make you live longer?
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Vectoring is only active on a very few select number of cabs whereby it benefits certain postcodes to uplift them to "superfast" for BDUK targets.
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Not sure I get the 4K comment Bob, that could he said about any luxury in life and isn't really relevant.
0 Ratings
mikeatsg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

4k TV, whilst not necessary for extension of longevity, is a genuine pleasure and adly's comment about minimum BT requirement is correct. This of course begs the question as to what BT TV think they are playing at in spending billions on football when (I'm guessing a little here) less than half their potential customer base could ever enjoy it.

TelephoneBob's remark (sarcasm aside) about the "old days" also has merit in that nowadays most people will indeed want max speed - but they probably don't bother to know that they are not getting it. I can confidently predict that as demand for 4k rises the increasing numbers who begin to realize that they can't get it reliably will get very cross indeed.

Current 4k sources are, mainly, blu-ray, satellite and internet. The main internet sources are YouTube, Amazon and Netflix. I am confused about true bandwidth requirements. If I run a blu-ray I can switch on a meter and I can see that for a big, big blockbuster peak streams are of the order of 130 Mbps. I am obviously limited to 15 Mbps or less via internet. Yet, mostly, Amazon and Netflix come through well and after an initial buffer period run nicely in UHD. The Crown was magnificent. I assume that their compression algorithms are very good. I have SKY Q on order and it is supposed to have very good bufferring. We will see.

Unlike curved screens and 3D, 4k will come in big time. I would expect that in 12 to 24 months Openreach will be buried in complaints.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Codecs are the reason streamed content can be compressed to deliver good quality (never as good as blu-ray) at a fraction of the bandwidth. Codecs are getting better and better. H.265 has mad a lot more content available to a lot more people. I can watch 720p H.265 encoded content on a 2.2meg throughput connection.
0 Ratings