cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Second line

Go to solution

I hope someone may know the answer to this, I have heard that a second line is taken from your existing line outside the house so if I wanted internet on that as well as my main line there would be a compromise on the speed as in affect I would be robbing peter to pay paul...

Has anyone heard this before and is it true ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Second line

Go to solution

Sorry - posted in error.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

When you say, 'a second line is taken from your existing line outside' are you referring to a DAC's?

If you are then no, they would not put a DAC's on the line as they are trying to phase them out and that it is not compatable with ADSL.

If you requested a second line then they would just come and install one by putting up a new drop wire or maybe replace your existing one with CAD55 cable as that has 4 pairs in it.

Of course there would need to be spare E and D cables, E-side usually isn't a problem but D-sides can sometimes be harder to find.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Each line provided has it's own pair of copper cables that go into the MDF in the exchange. I used to have 2 lines in my old house, the second one that was installed years after I moved in achieved pretty much the same speeds as the existing line. The existing line speeds never changed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’