cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Second phone line installation question

Go to solution

We have fibre broadband with bt currently, 24mbps download 1.4mb upload. Anyway is it possible to get a second line in with a different provider and have 2 fibre optic connections in same house? Bt one for everyone else and the new one just for my ps4! Thanks

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Second phone line installation question

Go to solution
If you are willing to pay for them, you can have as many lines as you like from as many providers as you like.
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks, wasnt sure how it worked. Ive heard its easy to get a second line as theres usually a second in the main socket of newish houses. Our house is about 28 years since it was built. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

just needs a spare pair of wires in the incoming openreach conenction from pole/underground

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
And most houses have this already in the faceplate?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

yes but more likley in the normal small junction box where the dropwire conencts to the internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

A second line will need a second faceplate. If there are no spare pairs to your house , a new  cable would be run.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Its not as easy as that the wire from you house my have up to 4 pairs of wires in it but only one pair will get all the way back to the exchange so a second line will need to be rooted all the way from the exchange to the cab (green box by the road) thants the easy part then from the cab all the way to you house or the box/pole out side you house. which will depend on the capacity of the cable from the cab to the house and how many are in uses allready. you may have 50 pairs leving the cab but part way between the cab and your house that may split off to a different street etc so when it to you street it may only be a 10 pair and if you street as 10 houses all on that cable then a new one would have to be put up and that takes time and cost money as it is a second line they may chage more if that as to happen. but yes you can have as many lines coming in to your house as you like but you will have to pay for each and evry one of them.

I know as it do this for a living hope this help

Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

If I were the OP and gaming was so important (it isn't for me) I would go for business broadband for the second line purely for the better SLA.

Slightly more cost but quicker to get an engineer out if a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks ratass, Ive went ahead and ordered a second line, with a different company. hope it goes smoothly. I live 1.5km from the green cabinet in the middle of nowhere. There would be max 10 houses between me and the cabinet so I hope theres some space. Really have no clue what way this will end up now. Will update after install date of 26th march. Engineer is costing £60, half the price of others i wont mention. And £21 a month afterwards line rental included. 

I also hope they dont disconnect the bt broadband when this new line gets installed. The bt will be for my parents and new one for me. 

0 Ratings