cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Second problem in 3 months. BB Down and BT misleading customers with false promises

I am absolutely incandescent right now with BT.

Since yesterday morning, my BT Smart Hub turned steady orange, did the old test socket thing to make sure BT don't sting me up the backside with a £129 engineer charge. BB Still wasn't working, solid orange. Phone Line is absolutely fine with no crackling etc.

Phoned up BT, they did a diagnostic check and as usual, treated me like some technophobe and told me to restart this, restart that, make sure the cables are plugged in, make sure you're not brain stem dead etc. They then said there was a problem "somewhere outside my property and the member of staff offered me a near cast iron guarantee that the problem will be fixed by today. I even asked her 5 times to make sure I heard correctly. 

So I call up BT again today, for an update because the BT Fault Tracker is absolutely useless, doesn't give you any useful information at all other than an extreme abstraction of the BT network as a diagram. The man who answered the phone said that "it will now be fixed by Wednesday". 

Why should I believe BT now? First you say today and now you say Wednesday. I have had TWO technical problems with BT already

First Problem - When I joined: The engineer decided to connect my phone line to someone down the road, meaning I now received phone calls from people I didn't know. Suddenly the engineer decided to fix the person down the road's phone line leaving me with no connection for almost 2 weeks. 

Second Problem - In October - The same problem I have now. Took an age to get fixed. 

How is it that the same problem has been reciprocated within the space of 3 months. This is abject incompetence from a national broadband provider. 

I paid a few pounds more when I was with Virgin for 5 years, but the uptime was 100%. No downtime whatsoever, occasional slowing down but given their Fair Usage Policy, that was understandable when I was backing things up to the cloud. 

If I had training in this particular sector, I would go fix this problem myself rather than be at the mercy of BT and BT Openreach. The sheer lack of updates and the sheer misleading fix dates from BT frustrate me immensely. Fortunately, my BT contract is only 12 months and will finish in August. I will be leaving immediately once I am released from this hell known as British Telecom. Disgraceful how I now have a running total of 3 broadband downtime periods. 

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Second problem in 3 months. BB Down and BT misleading customers with false promises

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Re: Second problem in 3 months. BB Down and BT misleading customers with false promises

Hi John,

I'm using a cordless phone and I did the quiet line test. Nothing unusual, very slight static in the background but that's been around since I moved in and even with Virgin. Probably the handset. Call quality is also fine.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Just to add - I can confirm it is the phone because on loudspeaker there is no static, pure silence. Only when I revert back to the normal speaker and put my ear close to it I hear the slight static.

Seems like the phone is perfectly fine, just the BB then.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 33

is it possible to try another phone as there should be no noise at all any noise will ruin a broadband connection
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

I've tried another cordless phone and no crackling. Just silence.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Yet again, another broken promise from BT.

I was promised that the problem would have been fixed TODAY by 10 AM (yes, in the morning). I wasn't expecting much, after all, BT seems to be staffed with incompetent people who enjoy screwing over customers and leaving them without internet. Shock horror, still a steady orange light.

They then call me, asking me to arrange an appointment. Why on earth did it take so long for them to arrange an appointment for an engineer? I've been waiting DAYS only to be told that I now need to wait for an engineer. 

If anyone is looking to join BT, I highly suggest you do not. You might save yourself a few pounds a month, but if your time is worth money, don't bother - Pay the extra and join Virgin Media. They actually own their infrastructure and do not rely on Openreach who seem to have any form of basic communication to their customer eviscerated from them since conception. I will have almost a month of no broadband service cumulatively since I signed the contract with BT.

Also, how dare they attempt to threaten me with the service charge - I have already told them that there is NO DAMP at the socket or within the vicinity of the socket, I have NO extensions connected to the master socket, I have tried a NEW microfilter and a NEW broadband cable, which I purchased at my own expense, and also I have tested a NEW telephone to double check. I inform BT of this yet they DARE read the terms and conditions to me in a condescending way.

Never have I been so OUTRAGED with a service provider. Many years with Virgin Media and NOT. A. SINGLE. MAJOR. PROBLEM. 

I am sick and tired of this disgraceful treatment from British Telecom. My children have decided to rename it "Basic Trash". 

Please, if you contract is about to expire or if you are going to sign a new contract with BT - Avoid it like the plague. You will either have no broadband and phone connection for the first 2 weeks like I did, or have problems 1 month into your contract, like I did, or 4 months into your contract, like I did.

What an absolute disgrace. 

Tags (1)
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Disappointed yet again. The issue was fixed Friday morning and it has come back today at lunchtime. 

The same symptoms. BT ran a diagnostic test and promised me a Friday fix date. I have a feeling BT tells all its employees to lie to the customer and treat them with contempt.

Also, not a single reply from a moderator offering a helping hand.

Will be speaking to Ofcom and also consumer rights group about this disgraceful treatment. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Thanks Keith. I hope they will be able to escalate this, my patience is wearing very thin at the moment.
0 Ratings