cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Security Issue with broadband

Go to solution

I recieved a phone call today from a company calling themselves F1CompStep, offering me free security help saying that my computer is under attack and currently infected with viruses.  I have Norton internet security and regularly check and update for viruses so why is this company contacting me.  They wanted me to click on a link on there website that would allow them to access my computer from there call center, they claimed to want to get rid of my viruses.  On close inspection of there website i found it to be of a basic set up that anyone could make in seconds using templates.  I wasnt prepared to allow them to access my computer as i have secure information and personal details on it.  At this point the caller put me through to her supervisor who became aggitated and aggressive when i questioned there companys website layout and the services they offered.  This is not the first time they have contacted me, however it is the first time theyve tried to gain access to my computer.  I would like some help on the matter as im curious as to how they have our phone number and how they can go about calling themselves a microsoft certified company as detailed on there website.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Security Issue with broadband

Go to solution

Is this the company http://whois.domaintools.com/f1compstepuk.com? This link tells you about them. It doesn't go to there site.

It appears that it was only set up on the 9 Jan 2010.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Looks iffy to me...no address on website, just a phone number...

Report them to trading standards.

Join the telephone preference service

If they call again, ASK them where they got your number, TELL them your not intested and you will call the police if they contine to harass you, and DELETE any of your details fromtheir system

Their 'aggitated and aggressive' behaviour suggests they are a bunch of scammers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

ive looked on whois, this doesnt tell me anything other than there main base is in london and US and they have sub sites all over the world, all i want to know is why they contacting me, there website says you have to pay in places and its free service in others.  there website could be created by a child as far as im concerned its a basic template that you can get for free and for all i know theyve just stuck microsoft certified certificates on the site that you can get off google.  If anything i wanna warn others about it cos its a joke there call center staff speak very little english and are hard to understand, then get aggressive when you start to question there motives, this is very suspicious and frankly unproffesional from a company that speaks volumes of its customer care on there website

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

i shall be making a phone call to bt themselves to rectify the problem thank you all for you help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Be VERY careful about clicking onto their addresses. Two are found by google and according to McAfee they come back with a '?' meaning they have NOT been tested!!!!

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  It's quite scary that they were looking to take over your computer, I think you made a wise decision in declining their help. 

In order to stop these calls you may want to look into Choose to refuse.  Choose to Refuse prevents unwanted or nuisance calls getting through to you.  If you frequently receive unwanted or nuisance calls from a particular number, you can block that number. And if you change your mind, you can lift the block whenever you like and allow the caller to contact you again.  More info can be found here Choose to Refuse

This should do the trick.  The telephone preference scheme could help as well but if this company is outside the UK, which it sounds like it is then TPS wont work.  You can check this out here http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/.

Hope this info helps

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@ianhellewell wrote:

I recieved a phone call today from a company calling themselves F1CompStep, offering me free security help saying that my computer is under attack and currently infected with viruses.  I have Norton internet security and regularly check and update for viruses so why is this company contacting me.  They wanted me to click on a link on there website that would allow them to access my computer from there call center, they claimed to want to get rid of my viruses.  On close inspection of there website i found it to be of a basic set up that anyone could make in seconds using templates.  I wasnt prepared to allow them to access my computer as i have secure information and personal details on it.  At this point the caller put me through to her supervisor who became aggitated and aggressive when i questioned there companys website layout and the services they offered.  This is not the first time they have contacted me, however it is the first time theyve tried to gain access to my computer.  I would like some help on the matter as im curious as to how they have our phone number and how they can go about calling themselves a microsoft certified company as detailed on there website.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just for a little bit of info. You need to ask yourself how they knew how to contact you and how they knew your computer had viruses ?

They will typically have no way of knowing, unless you have specific static IP addresses which may list a user in the whois.

0 Ratings
Jarviser
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@SeanD wrote:

In order to stop these calls you may want to look into Choose to refuse.  Choose to Refuse prevents unwanted or nuisance calls getting through to you.  If you frequently receive unwanted or nuisance calls from a particular number, you can block that number. 

Nice idea Sean but these criminals don't usually display any number and are usually calling from abroad. As you know BT (and TPS) can do diddly squat about stopping international numbers interrupting out lives and threatening our security.  And as for that sodding ship's hooter telling me I've won a holiday...

That is one reason my landline has now been disconnected permanently. - Bliss!

..... Jarviser's Home Hub Index
0 Ratings
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  It's quite scary that they were looking to take over your computer.....

Cheers

Sean

I'd just like to say I agree wholeheartedly. It is very scary when people try and take over your computer. Absolutely. Well said! Smiley Wink

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
0 Ratings