cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MacDaddy
Message 1 of 24

Security / Parental Controls

I think the answer to this is going to be a big fat resounding, 'NO', but I'll ask anyway.

My family is growing up and I'm becoming more concerned about what content is available to the kids as they get older.  I'm already seeing some worrying things.

The parental controls offered by BT are inadequate as they require installing on a PC to work.  What with iPods, iPhones and other WiFi enabled devices the software doesn't apply and so these devices would bypass any parental controls installed on a PC as they connect directly to the Home Hub for access to the internet.

Is it possible, other than by using a physical machine as a web server through which all other computers and devices must connect and use as a gateway to the internet, to filter content at source and monitor/restrict content as necessary.

Can this be done via the Home Hub or by using my BT account on line, for example?

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Security / Parental Controls

To protect all connected devices, you will have to use a different router which has parental controls and web filtering.

Like the TP-link Router TD-W8960N.

If you have an old ADSL router which allows you to change the DNS settings, then a partial solution is to use OpenDNS.

0 Ratings
NixPix
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Hi

Like the original poster on this thread (and on many similar topics), parental control is a BIG issue for me. We have 2 kids aged 10 and 12, and keeping our kids safe on-line is real priority. We are particularly keen to ensure our kids don't have access to adult content (accidentally or otherwise). Like many families we have multiple devices in the house; Apple Macbook, iPods, smart phones, internet-enabled TV, Xbox etc. When we signed up we were pleased to see that BT offered 'BT Family protection', but have found that doesn't meet our needs at all as firstly there is no version for Mac, and secondly it makes no difference to any other internet-enabled devices. BT Yahoo Parental Controls don't help either as we never use Yahoo.

I've searched the settings on our Homehub 3 and was amazed there are no parental control options, something that is common on routers made by Belkin, Netgear etc. Having the controls on the router means you can block access to adult content for all devices in one go, so that my son can't, for example, visit adult sites on a friends phone should they be in the house.

In short, the Family protect service or parental control offered by BT internet is not fit for purpose. Frankly I'm pretty shocked that you've provided a router without parental controls as MOST major brands have them. Was this a deliberate policy by BT? Why are they NOT on the router as standard? What are Mac owners supposed to do? The reply from Keith Beddoe suggests that BT want parents to go out and buy another router, which is pretty shameful IMHO.

I hope to hear this is something BT is working on!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

unfortunately even router based controls can be bypassed if you wish to a factory reset of the router/hub will wipe any settings changed out nothing is 100% secure and never will be
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

I have a slightly different take on this which may/may not be helpful for you.

I'm quite involved in IT in a Primary School and all children have their IT user a/c with the Local Education Authority which is very tigthly locked down for the children.

Many of our parents ensure they their children can only go online at home via the Local Authority's provision, which is limited to tight boundaries.

That might be worth thinking about?

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

a very good suggestion AQ
0 Ratings
NixPix
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Thanks John

So are you saying that, even if I replace my Home Hub with a different router and install OpenDNS (or something similar), that a press of the hard reset button will enable the controls to be bypassed?

If that's the case, a blob of glue in the 'reset button' hole might be the answer (I read that on another post somewhere).

Cheers

Nick

0 Ratings
NixPix
Beginner
Message 8 of 24

Thanks for the suggestion AQ.

My main concern though is about mobile devices accessing adult content through my home network. When using Windows Phone to access the net, I can't see how I would implement your suggestion.

A solution that uses OpenDNS looks promising, their site even states that it will block access to any of my son's friends who visit with their own phone or laptop, which is what I want. In my region we use the EMBC consortium in schools, it can be very inflexible and prone to being over-cautious, so I'm not sure it encourages the sort of personal responsibility I want to encourage in my kids.

Thanks for your thoughs though, much appreciated.

Nick

0 Ratings
Catcher
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

This site my be of interest https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/homePage.do

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

OpenDNS works fine, I use in conjunction with an old BT Home Hub 1, which you can change the DNS settings.

You must however make sure that you block outgoing port 53 on the routers firewall, otherwise users can sinply use their own DNS settings on their device.

You get a listing of which domains have been blocked.

0 Ratings