cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Seems to be a BTmail server problem? Cannot send outgoing email, but can receive. Any information?

Go to solution

For two days I have had intermittent ability to send email using MacMail: can receive email fine (connection doctor shows IMAP ok for incoming mail) but for both my btinternet.com email addresses there is a problem with connection to SMTP server for outgoing mail.  No settings changed at my end.  Constantly asks for password when try to send email, and rejects correct password (unchanged).  For a time connection doctor shows all ok for for IMAP (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing) and emails receive and send fine - then for no reason, SMTP stops working and emails will not send.  Very unpredictable, and very annoying.  Same problem with Blackberry - so not an issue with MacMail.  www.downtoday.co.uk showing a growing number of disgruntled BT Mail users with EXACTLY the same problem, over the last few days.   I have noticed unusual activity since 1st December with the BT Mail spam filter - catching emails from some regular newsfeeds, IoD, even my password change request for this forum from BT!  This is after an unusually large flow to my email addresses of phishing emails, and some virus containing emails from btinternet.com email addresses.  Has BT changed their spam filter settings?  Anyone else having a similar problem - and BT, please share information on whatever is going on.  Thanks

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Seems to be a BTmail server problem? Cannot send outgoing email, but can receive. Any informati

Go to solution

A quick perusal of the forum will reveal many such reports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Re: Seems to be a BTmail server problem? Cannot send outgoing email, but can receive. Any informati

Go to solution

Thanks, any idea what is causing the issues?  Seem to be intermittent, but for long periods cannot send email.  Had a similar problem back in May, then it just went away ....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Been happening on and off for years, once somebody feeds the hamster it all starts working again. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Yes, problems have been on/off for at leat the last week. It's annoying.

Tried to find a BT email service status page but cannot find one.

Other people are complaining

https://downtoday.co.uk/bt-email/

I'm still on the Yahoo service - waititng for migraton to the new BTMail. I was told migration started well over a year ago. I would have thought it would be finished by now! 😞

Happy Saturday!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

@BarkingMad wrote:

I'm still on the Yahoo service - waititng for migraton to the new BTMail. I was told migration started well over a year ago. I would have thought it would be finished by now! 😞

Happy Saturday!

The migration has been suspended for many months now for undisclosed reasons and there is no information as to when (if) it will  resume.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

I've had problems in the last couple of days too (3rd to, and including, 5th December 2015). I'm still on the old BT Yahoo! Mail service and have experienced numerous repeated requests from my Outlook client to confirm the password associated with my various e-mail accounts.

Also, an e-mail sent to another btinternet user, but one who is on the new BT Mail, on Thursday evening went astray. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Yep, I'm still on BT Yahoo Mail and have been getting this problem for the last three or four days. I have several email accounts and they are all suffering with the same problem. Getting the following error message.
Task '*********@btinternet.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR server closed'

My smart phone is also having problems saying that it is failing to log in to the server.

Can one of the Mods please look into this problem as it would appear that no one else is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Any danger of someone from BT actually responding to this???

This keeps happening time and time again, on the PC, Pads and Phones. We pay a premium for this "service".

I'm switching users soon, had enough of this nonsense. BT ?????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

I saw in another thread that someone was asked to send an email about the problem to BT.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-Mail-username-and-password/m-p/1564347#M39390

If email isn't working then it may be a bit difficult

Can one of the mods get someone at BT to take a look at this?

It's happening far too often - on multiple devices. It is affecting many individuals.

Perhaps someone should start tweeting....that may get a bit more feedback.