cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Sending emails from overseas using Thunderbird

I use Thunderbird as my email client in POP mode (if that's the right word, I prefer to have the emails downloaded locally so I can access them when not on-line)

I am currently in France.  I can access my emails using BTYahoo Mails, both send and receive.  I can also download my received emails to my Thunderbird local Inbox.  However, when I try to send from Thunderbird I get the message "Login to server mail.btinternet.com failed". 

I believe this is due to some form of security setting on the BT Server.  I have experienced the problem in previous years, but when I was in Spain earlier this year there was no problem so I had assumed BT had removed their restriction.  Obviously my assumption was incorrect!

Whilst I can still use BTYahoo Mail, it is not completely satisfactory as I seem to be unable to import my contact groups listings.  (I can import individual contacts but not the groups of addresses I have defined in Thunderbird).  Also, I am unsure how to download the BTYahoo Mail Sent Folder to my Thunderbird local folders

Any suggestions as to how to overcome these issues would be appreciated!

Many tks

SD

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sending emails from overseas using Thunderbird

You have to create an IMAP account to see local folders.

Its not easy to change an existing POP account to IMAP within Thunderbird, so simply create a new IMAP account, and call  it something different.

Look at my help menu under the e-mail section.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@SuperDad wrote:

I use Thunderbird as my email client in POP mode (if that's the right word, I prefer to have the emails downloaded locally so I can access them when not on-line)

I am currently in France.  I can access my emails using BTYahoo Mails, both send and receive.  I can also download my received emails to my Thunderbird local Inbox.  However, when I try to send from Thunderbird I get the message "Login to server mail.btinternet.com failed". 

I believe this is due to some form of security setting on the BT Server.  I have experienced the problem in previous years, but when I was in Spain earlier this year there was no problem so I had assumed BT had removed their restriction.  Obviously my assumption was incorrect!

Whilst I can still use BTYahoo Mail, it is not completely satisfactory as I seem to be unable to import my contact groups listings.  (I can import individual contacts but not the groups of addresses I have defined in Thunderbird).  Also, I am unsure how to download the BTYahoo Mail Sent Folder to my Thunderbird local folders

Any suggestions as to how to overcome these issues would be appreciated!

Many tks

SD

Hi.

Although surprising you could send from Spain without issue, it is usually the case that ISPs block access to their mail servers unless connected via their IP addresses.

See my shortcuts (link below), option 0d/h, to try the yahoo server address for the smtp settings. This usually works "at home", so may work whilst abroad.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Andy_N wrote:

Although surprising you could send from Spain without issue,

Some ISPs intercept port 25 traffic and route it to thier own SMTP servers, so although it may appear to be sending sucessfully using mail.btinternet.com, it could have in actual fact have been sent using the servers of whichever ISP was being used at the time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@IanC wrote:

@Andy_N wrote:

Although surprising you could send from Spain without issue,

Some ISPs intercept port 25 traffic and route it to thier own SMTP servers, so although it may appear to be sending sucessfully using mail.btinternet.com, it could have in actual fact have been sent using the servers of whichever ISP was being used at the time.

Indeed that's right. Freeseerve used to do it, whether Orange as they are now called, do I don't know ....

0 Ratings