Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 85

Sep 2015 price rises

Here we go again!
Inflation busting, long term investment, etc, etc.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/uk-isp-bt-kicks-off-new-round-of-annual-phone-line-rent...

Anyway standard line rental will be going up from £17 to £18.
0 Ratings
84 REPLIES 84
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 85

Re: Sep 2015 price rises

A Guardian news article says letters will be sent out from this weekend and the rises will apply from Sep 20th. I assume there'll be a minimum of 30 days' notice by BT as usual.

Line rental rise of just under 6% and expected broadband rises of 6 - 7%, which is of course a lot higher than inflation.

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 3 of 85

Yes 6 - 7% more!

Stew
0 Ratings
user2000
Contributor
Message 4 of 85

Re: Sep 2015 price rises - leaving contract?

Well I think I'm going to be off.

I signed up almost a year ago with the promise that my Fibre 2 would be £25 a month, now it's gone up for the second time in 12 months to £29.56 - I make that just over a whopping 18% price increase over the course of a single year!

So I am sure I am able to leave my broadband and line rental agreement - the TV package I am not so sure about...

Just to make sure I'm not going to be charged for my Youview box, have I read this correctly in the T&Cs?

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/TV.html

"We will supply one or more set top boxes for use with the service which will be either a BT Vision+ box, a YouView+ box, a YouView box or YouView+ Ultra HD box for the Box Service, and a YouView+ or YouView box for any TV Everywhere with Extra Box subscription. In some cases we will allow you to defer payment of all or part of the full price for each set top box we supply. If we do this and you then end a subscription for which a set top box was supplied within 12 months of BT accepting your order for that set top box, then except where you cancel the service within the cancellation period (as detailed in paragraphs 10 & 11 of the Residential Standard Terms), you will be liable to pay a charge. We will charge you, for each month remaining of the 12 month period from the date we accepted your order, one 12th of the balance – that is, the price of the set top box as set out in the Tariff Guide, less any amount which you paid upfront for that set top box when you placed your order. If you keep a subscription for which we supplied a set top box for 12 months or more, you will not have to pay anything for that set top box if you later end the subscription for which the set top box was supplied."

The key piece seems to be "BT accepting your order for that set top box" not the actual date the supply started?

I have my order date of 28th July 2014 (on an 18 month contract) and of course my BT TV is not increasing by more than the RPI.  Do those T&Cs mean that on the 28th July 2015 I will have had my Youview+ box for 12 months and therefore I won't be liable to pay anything for the box, only the early termination on my TV package (looks like £3 a month for the entertainment pack I am currently on).

Disappointed with BT, especially when they increased my fibre from £25 to £27.65 mere months after I joined yet new customers were still getting the £25 deal.  It really is shoddy that a contract does not mean your price should stay the same for the period you are contracted - total nonsense in fact.  In any case, I have no desire to pay them any more than I need to, so hopefully someone can clarify that I've deciphered the T&Cs correctly?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 85

Re: Sep 2015 price rises - leaving contract?

Hi

I am sorry to see you are having problems

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 85

0 Ratings
user2000
Contributor
Message 7 of 85

Just off the phone, they let me leave with no trouble, I've started the 30 day period (if I don't leave within that time I continue to be a customer).

No charges to speak of as I will have had the Youview box for 12 months by the time I leave except the £30 cease charge as I think I'll be off to Vigin.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 8 of 85

I got an email this morning from BT about the price rises. Line rental is now far more dearer than the BT TV service.

My unlimited Infinity 2 + calls is going up by £1.50 and thats me still getting a £5 a month discount. It also days that from mid Feburary my discount will end and that my unlimited Infinity + calls will go up to the standerd price of £29.90.

So I will have to seen if I can get another discount nearer the time.

Also free evening and weekend calls are going up by 20p.

Entertanment Max also going up by a £1 if you signed up before 24 July which I did. For I upgraded to Entertanment max at the end of April.

Hope this will be the last BT put up there prices for a very good while.

Darren

0 Ratings
normanmclean
Contributor
Message 9 of 85

Just off the phone too. Done and dusted in 60 seconds. I do need to send back the YouView box as I am just a month into a new 12 month term but no hardship as I cannot get a decent terrestial signal here anyway.

0 Ratings
normanmclean
Contributor
Message 10 of 85

@ney wrote:

Hope this well be the last BT put up there prices for a very good while.

Darren

It won't be Darren, someones got to pay for the football. The same will happen next year and the year after that.

Luckilly it is easy to leave so for god sake do it.