cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Serious security issue with BTYahoo webmail?

First problems with cannot send due to possible abuse and now BTYahoo (or is it Yahoo?) seems to be corrupting my webmail:

1. message from known friend reads, when clicking the Subject:

[ No Subject ]

Tuesday, 5 July, 2011
22:55 
To:
undisclosed-recipients

2. Body text, from another known friend, when I click the Subject, reads (I've modified certain words to XXX in case of offending the Mods or other readers):
NEW! Best HERBAL XXX PILL - 17 X POTENT HERBS ALL IN 1 PILL!
Tuesday, 5 July, 2011
12:23

"Ranae"
<amaliacharity@feist.com>
Add sender to Contacts 

To:
j_cook_77@yahoo.co.uk    
Rock Hard XXXXXX - Get XXX and XXXX
Lasting XXXX Naturally
NEW! Best HERBAL XXX PILL - 17 X POTENT HERBS ALL
IN 1 PILL! http  ://fatpeniswin.ru

I'm not home right now, so I don't know if the original issue is resolved yet, nor do I know what the body text reads in OE - will know tomorrow (Wed) evening.

What has happened to the original genuine messages from my friends?

It looks like something serious has happened to the security of the mail servers at BTYahoo/Yahoo.

PS another from one of those friends:
The fun begins when you sign up at Kings Palace Club.
Tuesday, 5 July, 2011
20:16 
"Jere"
<rcsybbxobbeuj@amfanatl.org>
Add sender to Contacts 
Cc:
MY_PrimaryBTaddress, rlecalumny AT neilmercer.co.uk,
lydarester49@proneaccess.co.uk 
Big wins, big bonuses, a gaming site with a large heart.

PPS Just spotted that those emails above are duplicated in the Spam Folder, but From "blank" "Ranae" and "Jere" respectively. So it looks like the system is somehow attributing the headers and body to the genuine friends, and stripping the genuine headers and body.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Serious security issue with BTYahoo webmail?

This is very puzzling. I just arrived home, fired up OE and these three suspicious emails downloaded as if nothing had happened.

I then logged into Webmail and they open normally. So it can't be an issue of my two friends' computers or accounts being corrupted or hacked or having malware.

Something definitely fishy with the BTYahoo/Yahoo servers surely?

(BTW I'm pleaseed to see that the can't send due to possible abuse issue appears to be fixed)

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

It is likely that these emails are from spammers that are spoofing the from name as if they have come from your friends.  Note that it is very easy to make an email appear to come from anyone and the From field should NEVER be trusted.

If you display the header information that accompanies the email but is normally not shown you can see where an email is actually coming from.

It is by looking at this information that system has put your emails in the spam folder.

It is unlikely that this is a security issue with BT Yahoo email and more likely to be careless use by users allowing their email addresses and those of their friends to fall into the hands of spammers.

0 Ratings
st-clares
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

In a similar vein I checked my emails using Mailwasher last night and there were about 2 dozen emails that appeared to be returned undelivered mail, some were using chinese characters. These were on my primary email address which is not used, we have set up a number of secondary addresses for day to day use therefore I am surprised as the primary address is only used to log on to my BT account.

I immediately bulk deleted them from within Mailwasher.

Is this a case of the BT server being hacked.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

st-clares wrote:

Is this a case of the BT server being hacked.

No - just spam.

0 Ratings