cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 22

Re: Server down?

Thanks David.

I tried online help. Explained all, and he wanted me to reinstall Outlook Express POP3 on my old Win XP system Smiley Surprised

I started to lose the will to live but explained that more important was IMAP connections with clients on desktop Win 7, MacBookPro and GalaxyJ3...  so he said they had "lost sync" ... err yes ... and has "refreshed connections" ..... and asked me to reset T'Bird ..... feel very unconvinced. Awfully fiddly to close four accounts in various clients on three systems - probably more on partners iPad too - then set them up again. When it looks as if it's just a dodgy server.

One thing worked - at hsi suggestion : looged into webmail sent self an email. That arrived a few mins akter on Galaxy J3 but not on T/bird desktop system.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 22

I contacted support and after asking me for a lot of information I had already provided, was told there is a BT server issue affectting mobile email and to use webmail. I had already explained I had tested webmail which worked but it was the IOS devices that couldn't get email.

He then asked for me to check my ipad settings (which I had done) and when I asked how that would help when they say it was their server issue how would it help. He didn't asnswer that.

I asked when it would be resolved and his response was email is a free service and they will fix it when they can but we can't complain. I asked to speak to his manager and after a while I was cut off.

So standard BT support and there is a big issue affecting customers which BT consider low prioroty. What other service providers can others recommend?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 22

@rocco16 wrote:

I contacted support and after asking me for a lot of information I had already provided, was told there is a BT server issue affectting mobile email and to use webmail. I had already explained I had tested webmail which worked but it was the IOS devices that couldn't get email.

He then asked for me to check my ipad settings (which I had done) and when I asked how that would help when they say it was their server issue how would it help. He didn't asnswer that......

.......What other service providers can others recommend?

That really hacks me off - they way "support" invent "solutions" just to fob customers off. A complete novice will accept what they say and spend hours resetting things locally when it is nothing to do with their setup and is a BT/Yahoo issue.

Or they have such poor internal communication that they can't respond to say "it's a server issue and we are trying to fix it".

I keep telling myself to shunt to my own mail via 123-reg but am daunted by the task of telling all my contacts and setting up forwarding for the transition.

But 123-reg seems to be good. Worth investigating? (I think they have had some problems with a server migration though - don't know if that is resolved)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

I confirm that this is also an issue in Sunny Suffolk and has been since midnight. It affects Outllok 2013 clients and Samsung android app as well. This appears to have been the case since around midnight last night.

This is after some issues with inbound mails from senders with other ISPs being rejected owing to non-transparent filtering rules.

It is unfortunate that BT has taken the route of contracting out providers of both mail and filtering and appear to have lost some control in so doing. The argument that this is a free service doesn't work as it is paid for from income that BT achieves from us, the end user.

Just hope it comes back soon!

Highlighted
Message 15 of 22

And I thought it was me - contacted Microsoft - they couldnt resolve. I can send but not receive since minight on pc. Samsung phone downloaded though. Glad I found you guys. At least I know where to look first from now on instead of bashing my head for hours.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 22

Welcome to the forums gill1066! Glad you found us. Plenty of expert and helpful folk here so it's a good place to try first with any problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 22

Samsung Note 10.1 seems to Send and Receive ok using the default email client.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 22

@rocco16 wrote:

I contacted support and after asking me for a lot of information I had already provided, was told there is a BT server issue affectting mobile email and to use webmail...............

Just spotted that "was told there is a BT server issue affectting mobile email". Smiley Mad

It's affecting desktops too, and POP3 as well as IMAP.

Why can't BT "support" start to grasp the nettle of reality?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 19 of 22

'"Support" told me that since webmail works there was no oroblem at BT's end - which even BT admit there is - and that she wasn't trained to kniw about email clients.  Hopeless. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 22

Well what do you know? I have now received some emails on my desktop without having taken the trouble to delete and reinstall the account, despite BT "support" telling me that I should do this, first of all on a system running Windows XP with Outlook Express as the email client ???!!! (which action I declined) then implicitly on all systems: smart phone, notepads etc etc..

It cost me just a fruitless 30 mins or so exchanging irrelevant details with some "support" person following some sort of useless code of practice ordained by BT.

And it turns out to have been a server problem under BT's responsibility.

So why, BT, does your "support" give your customers such a run-around? Is there any chance that "support" canl fulfil its apparent function?

(I assume that the server problem is resolved, and that our other devices and systems will resume normal operation)

0 Ratings