cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Set UpCost

Just received a bill with an additional £129.99 being set-up costs. I ordered broadband and phone when moving to this house in July and the order only gives a one-off charge of 9.99, which has been paid. So why suddenly a bill for this amount. The entry on the bill says -Engineer Home Improvement Service charge - Broadband 14/06/2017 - 29 Aug 17? We did have to have an engineer round as the broadband did not work on the day it went live. That engineer came on the 12th June and changed something at the master socket. There was never any talk of costs as clearly this was n ot of my making.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
DavidM
Message 2 of 12

Re: Set UpCost

Hi @ColinGr and welcome.

The quickest way to get an answer to this would be to contact our billing live chat team so can you try that and let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

I shal try David thanks. Thus far I just end up waiting endlessly for someone to chat with!

0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Does chat actually work? It says I will be connected in, say, 5 mins, counts down to a couple of seconds, then goes back up. FInally it gives up on the count and says I will be conneceted asap. And I am still waiting.

0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Finally got connected but Chat could not help. They phoned me and tried to connecet me to those who deal with engineer call-outs but there was nobody there. Chat will call me back a 2pm tomorrow and connect me to the appropriate person. It is apparently down to the engineer call out but I did not call an engineer our BT sent one out because the broadband was not working on the live date as expected.

Colin

0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Well it is now 2:30 pm and no call. Not impressed. Any other options/suggestions.

Many thanks

Colin

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 7 of 12

Hi @ColinGr

Thanks for posting back!  Sorry you didn't receive the promised call back.

Can you send us over your details and we will help you from here?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

DId eventually get the call back thanks. But I have never been treated so shabbily. BT are insisting the charge stands when none of this was my fault. The broadband was not working on the day it was supposed to. The usual checks were instigated over the phone by the help team to no avail. They arranged for an engineer who did something at the master socket which cured it. BT are saying that equates to the fault being internal which is stretching it a bit. I always thought BT were responsible up to the socket. I did ask the engineer what was wrong and he said he was not really sure but it is ok now, which is was.

Engineer claims he had to install a filter which is rubbish. There was no filter on the master socket as it had been removed by me after the initial testing failed. If he had asked I would have given him one of the many filters I have in my drawer.

I was a new customer having broadband installed in a three year old house that we had not yet moved in to and with all external wiring underground. I would have expected a reasonable approach but words really do fail me in this instance.

Sorry for the rant!

Colin

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

the face plate may have been replaced with a filtered one and that is what is charged for
0 Ratings
ColinGr
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

That is disgusting. The plate was not broken. It was there from the start and worked fine with a telephone. This is not fair. Bt are now installing superfast in our area. When it is there other providers will come on line. It will then be time to leave BT - given the circumstances I would hope BT will let me break contract.

Would not have been so bad if the engineer has explained what he had done and why. He admitted he did not really know what was wrong but charges me for something...I wonder why? I could have given him one of a dozen working filters.

THis is very strange - the work (?) was undertaken on 14th June and the charge has only just come through!

0 Ratings