cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scardoc
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Set up fee - 27p

Ok, first up, apologies, I don't think this is a new topic. I recently noticed on my bill that when trying to get through to the local surgery at opening time to make an appointment, I was being charged 27p for each 1 second call where the line was engaged.

I have had an online chat with BT and in the end they acknowledged that this was not correct and should be refunded. A number of pretty serious issues have arisen from the conversation and I am now preparing to put a complaint in writing.

Before I do, can anyone advise if they have taken this up with BT before and what the resolution was?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Set up fee - 27p

0 Ratings
scardoc
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

It was a local call so no dialling code! The operator I spoke to agreed that no charge should have been applied and it also transpired that I was being charged at a higher rate than the set-up fee is currently set at. I was wondering if this was a UK wide issue as potentially BT could be raking in the GDP of a small country every year on unanswered calls!

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@scardoc wrote:

It was a local call so no dialling code! The operator I spoke to agreed that no charge should have been applied and it also transpired that I was being charged at a higher rate than the set-up fee is currently set at. I was wondering if this was a UK wide issue as potentially BT could be raking in the GDP of a small country every year on unanswered calls!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

There is no charge for dialling an engaged number, however was there a possibility you had chosen the ring back service? This is when an engaged number is called, and the caller presses a digit (5) for the system to call you when the line is free. This service though costs about 50p.

As for the local call, can you say what the first 5 digits are including the initial zero - or did you just dial the "local" number without dialling 0 first? The phone bill will show the complete number.

0 Ratings
scardoc
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

No ring back used at all hence there were 12 calls at one second, all immediately hung up on hearing the engaged tone.

BT have confirmed no charge should be applied but they were adamant to begin with that the call must have been connected if I was charged.

The number on the bill is correct, it's just poor. I will be asking for answers and will post what happens.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

The engaged signal could have been generated by their switchboard after an initial very short ring. So each call would have counted as a connection, and a connection charge would have been made.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@scardoc wrote:
No ring back used at all hence there were 12 calls at one second, all immediately hung up on hearing the engaged tone.

BT have confirmed no charge should be applied but they were adamant to begin with that the call must have been connected if I was charged.

The number on the bill is correct, it's just poor. I will be asking for answers and will post what happens.

Hi again.

What was the forst 5 digits of the number please ?

As Keith has said, if the end switchboard is set to send a tone similar to engaged, you will be charged if connected. You say that the calls only last one second, did you listen further on any of the calls to make sure that it wasn't an engaged tone - but perhaps the start of a message ?

0 Ratings