cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scot24
Beginner
Message 1 of 9
Hi,
I received a youview box today after moving into a new rented flat. The previous owner had sky in the front room so there is a dish on the roof at the front and an aerial at the back.
I basically want to know if the you view box can somehow connected via thw sky dish or what other options?? Help!
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Set up

Go to solution
Aerial only to get the Freeview channels, Bt Infinity to get all the Extra channels.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

There's no way a YouView box can work with a satellite dish.  It needs to be connected to a traditional TV aerial.  Is there any way to run an aerial extension lead from the existing aerial to where you want the box?

0 Ratings
scot24
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
There is an aerial in a back room about 25 feet from the box but not sure how to sort tha cable for thay!2
0 Ratings
scot24
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
So I either need to upgrade to infinity or get an aerial fitted?!
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Even if you upgrade to Infinity, you would only get the extra channels that are sent via BT TV.  You would not get all the normal channels that are broadcast on Freeview (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5  and so on).

It sounds like you already have an aerial, you just need it wiring through to where the YouView box is.  This could be done just a long bit of coaxial cable with the right connectors on each end, or else call in a TV aerial installer for a more professional job.

0 Ratings
scot24
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Yeah I am happy to get the coaxial cable, just not wanting to fork out £150 for an engineer lol I do have an aerial but it's on the roof and i am 3 floors up so i imagine it just be a coaxial cable which would extend this? Available on ebay for £10 for a set
0 Ratings
scot24
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
The problem is the aerail wire comes through the wall with not socket in the actual wall so can the already existing aerial cable be connected to an extension and work the same way or would a full new cable have to be installed to the outside aerial?! Thanks for this!
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

If the wire just ends in a plug, of the sort that normally plugs into the back of a TV, then just pop down your local TV shop and get an aerial extension lead with a socket on one end and a plug on the other.  Or a lead with a plug on each end, plus a little coupler to join two plugs together.

If it's just a bare wire poking out of the wall, then stick a plug on it.  Then do the above.

There will be a small loss of signal in extending the cable.  Without trying it, it's impossible to say if that will be a problem.  But aerial leads are so cheap, it's worth trying.

0 Ratings