Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willowen100
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Setting Up BT Infinity In A Large Home

Hi guys,

I'm supposed to be getting an Internet upgrade by the end of the year/very early next year as part of the Superfast Cornwall upgrade scheme and I've been reading up how fibre comes into the house. However, I have realised that the Openreach modem has to be connected to the master and can't be connected to a telephone extension socket, unless you use the 30m extension kit. The extension kit won't work in our house because my parents do not want to drill holes through walls or feed the cable around skirting boards etc. which means the router has to be connected the master socket.

The router I have is the Asus DSL-N66U and does support VDSL and according to reviews it's one of the best multi-functional routers with ADSL/VDSL support you can buy. As I knew I would have to place this router near the master socket I thought about testing the Wi-Fi performance ready for when I get a broadband upgrade, but I didn't have any luck. Upstairs on the first floor at the back of the house (opposite to where the router is at the front of the house) I was receiving -72dBm or a two bar signal on mobile phone devices and the throughput to all the devices was simply terrible. My Google Chromecast wouldn't work at all, my high gain Wi-Fi card on my desktop had trouble connecting the router configuration page at times and the PS3 with its wireless G card was so intermittent that I had to resort back to using my homeplugs (powerline adapters) because I couldn't physically play.

I initially thought my router was duff, but after swapping it for the BT Homehub 3 that I had lying around spare I plugged this in the same position on the master socket and got roughly the same Wi-Fi results. After looking on the internet I learnt that it wasn't uncommon for medium to large sizes homes to struggle with Wi-Fi range and throughput. Trying to follow the rule of thumb of placing the router directly in the centre of the house is possible for us because there is a telephone extension socket, but in terms of getting fibre how would I do it?

Currently I have my Asus DSL-N66U on the master socket, with a homeplug attached, and then a second homeplug is plugged into the BT Homehub 3 which is acting as an AP (Access Point). This BT Homehub 3 is the workhorse of the Wi-Fi in the house as it's placed directly in the centre and this is exactly where I would like to place the Asus router if fibre broadband wasn't a problem. Would any of you recommend a dual-band Wi-Fi extender? I was thinking of getting the Asus RP-AC52 Wi-Fi range extended as will be able to extend the 5GHz too which becomes dead after the first wall the router hits.

What I was wondering is how have you guys managed to get fibre broadband to work in your house? Have you used Wi-Fi extenders, have you used powerline adapters to wire up a second AP like I have or have you managed to do something with master socket?

Sorry for the long post, but all the help will be appreciated

Will

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Setting Up BT Infinity In A Large Home

If you can order Infinity 2 and you don't get a contractor doing the installation then  the engineer will move the master socket to where you want it to be .

0 Ratings
willowen100
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the quick reply conrad,

We're most likely going to move to Unlimited BT Infinity 1 offering 38Mbps. In this case what would I do about my situation? Also how much would it cost to move the master socket anyway and how exactly do they do it?

Will

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

from your decription they would convert your existing extension socket into the master and vice versa

if infinity1 that now for most is self install just by using filters and connecting to master socket - no engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings