Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Setting Up BT WiFi

Go to solution

I am trying to set up BT WiFi on my Samsung S2, following the BT YouTube video it show you to select Googles Play Store App, then it offers the option to add an existing Google acc. or create a new one. As I have no desire for a Google acc. does that mean I am unable to use BT WiFi.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Setting Up BT WiFi

Go to solution

If you want to use the BTWifi app you need to get it through the Playstore. If you don't want to do that you need to connect to the BTWifi network and then open a browser and that will open the log on page for BTWifi where you can then enter your log on details.

See link

http://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/login-with-bt/

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Why not just have a Google account for the sole purpose of accessing the app store?  You are not forced to use if for anything else if you do not want to.

Does this mean you have do not use *any* apps on your phone?

0 Ratings
DaveJFT
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@SpottyDog Where do you get your apps from if not from the Play Store? Anyhow, the only alternative to getting a Google account to access the Play Store would be to find someone whom you trust to email you a copy of the .apk file of the app for you to sideload.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

I only signed up for BT mobile because someone gave me a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and the BT package look a good deal, and it will only cost me £5 a month. As for apps I did not notice anywhere on BT that you needed a Google acc. I'll not bother I've no desire for a Google acc. So long as I can phone out that will do.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Why not set up a free gmail address and a free google account using the free gmail address and you can then download the free BTWifi app. It will also let you receive any free updates for the apps already on your phone.  

If you are worried about security with Google, when you set up the accounts you do not need to use your own personal details, you can use alias details if you wish so there will be no security issues around using your own details. 

The alternative is to do as I have already posted and use a web browser to log on.

0 Ratings
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi folks. I'm with SpottyDog on this one. BT should NOT be forcing its customers to need a Google account before they can use the BT WiFi service. That's not the contract they offered us. Forcing people to also open a Google account might well be considered a breach of the contract offer terms by Trading Standards. There should be an alternative way to load the BT WiFi app (and others) than using Google Play.

I also do my very best to avoid having a Google account - successfully so far. Once you're signed up with them then any Google app, or Android based phone or app, you use could be returning data to Google and others, whether or not you are currently logged in. We take our data privacy far too lightly - and one day it will bite us back. Snowdon's revelations were just the tip of the iceberg if people really knew.

0 Ratings
James-C
BT Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

You don't need a Google, Apple or Microsoft account to use the BT Wifi service. If you initially connect to a BT Wifi hotspot and open up a browser it will ask you to sign in (giving you an option to sign in with your BT account). If the site doesn't initially load then you can go to https://www.btwifi.com:8443/

The BT Wifi app is there to make the process easier and to log you into a BT Wifi hotspot without you having to constantly  login via the landing site.

Google Play Store, Apple App Store and the Microsoft Store are the official services to download apps for that Vendor Operating System powered device. If they enforce the creating of an account to use that service then that is a decision by the either Google, Apple or Microsoft and not byBT Group.

mcronline
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
I will add that creating a goigke account died not inxyr privacy violations if you lie about the details on signing up. All that google will know is that the account some_bs@gmail.com is linked to your number. If you have such an aversion to the advertising model then you should have joined the apple ecosystem.

In addition, the Google play store is not the only android app store.

Personally I don't mind free apps and services for a little privacy loss. Its a trade off. I've had apple products before and frankly, for me, the extra cost was not worth the money.
0 Ratings