Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Setting up Mac for BT and old Talktalk mail

Go to solution

We changed from talktalk to BT today and I want to set up Mac mail to receive both my mail from my old provider talktalk and also a new bt email address which I set up this morning (and hasn't yet worked....)  

As I need to receive mail from my old talktalk.net address until everyone has the new BT mail, I need both accounts on my mac mail.  I am able to receive mail on my talktalk address but cannot send using this address/server, it says "cannot send mail using the server talktalk".  It won't connect using the bt server either?

Can anyone let me know how I receive emails from both, but send using BT and why this isn't working for me (unable to send mail).

I'm aware I may sound like a complete techno idiot here, but hoping its a simple fix!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Setting up Mac for BT and old Talktalk mail

Go to solution

Presumably as you are no longer with Talk Talk, you no longer have an account on their outgoing mail server. You need to send via the BT SMTP mail server but you need a BTinternet address to authenticate with. I am not familiar with Mac Mail so don't know the details of how to accomplish that but you need to configure the outgoing server with the following details.

Server mail.btinternet.com

Port 465

SSL Yes

User name your full xxxx@btinternet.com email address

Password your Btinternet.com password

Authenticate plain password

The BT account will be the same details as above for outgoing, for incoming use port 993 and SSL for IMAP or 995 and SSL for POP3.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for replying.  Will this work today with all the email issues or should I leave until tomorrow?  I still can't log onto my email through the internet either which suggests I still have a problem?

L

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

It might be wise to leave it until tomorrow, certainly until you can access your email via webmail . If you try setting it up now and have problems, you will be unsure of the cause.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

In Mac Mail if you go to Mail >Preferences >Accounts, click + at the bottom and then 'Add Other Mail Account' and Continue. Enter your Name, email address and password as supplied by BT. Then click Create. This should automatically fill in all the details, ports etc. It will be an IMAP account as that's the default. If you want POP then hold the alt key and the Create button will change to Next. You'll then have to fill in the details listed above yourself.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I wouldn't let it automatically fill in the details, I think that is where most problems stem from. It is better to set the account up manually

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I wouldn't know how to? Can I check the details it has filled in and what should they say?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
BT didn't supply an email address, I tried to do that this morning, but as yet haven't been able to get it working?!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@loushaddick wrote:

I wouldn't know how to? Can I check the details it has filled in and what should they say?

When you add the account there should be an option to enter the details manually. The details are those I posted earlier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@loushaddick wrote:
BT didn't supply an email address, I tried to do that this morning, but as yet haven't been able to get it working?!

Have a look at this link for setting up a BT email address.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/c/346

Once you have set it up and you are sure it is working OK then set it up on your Mac.