cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heat57
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Setting up a Guest Wifi network via a second cable router (Netgear WNDR3700)

Hi everyone. I have just had BT Infinity installed and have the BT Home Hub 5 installed, which is working fine, so far. The one thing that I always had when on ADSL based routers is a seperate guest network for Wifi only access, which limites connections for guests/visitors to my home to internet connections only without access to my home network.

Before anyone suggests password protecting my PCs, NAS and so on, this is exactly what I want to avoid as my home network is pretty much water tight and I don't want ot introduce another security layer making access to devices on this network much more inconvenient.

So my question is, how can I 'daisy chain' a nother router (mentioned in the subeject title) or an access point/bridge ( I have  a TP-Link TL-WR702N, which can operate in 4 different modes) in order to provide just WiFi internet access for any visitors. I need a segregated network so to speak for this puprose as I don't want anybody gaining access to my files and printers etc.

I know there are ways of achieving this but so far I have not been able to successfully implement any of these solutions I read about. I have tried to connect the WNDR3700 from one of its LAN ports to the HH5 Gigabit LAN ethernet port (switch) and chose a static IP for the WNDR3700 with DHCP disabled on it. So far no good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Setting up a Guest Wifi network via a second cable router (Netgear WNDR3700)

Welcome to this forum.

If you use something like a TP-Link WA701ND wireless access point, which has up to four additional SSIDS, its quite simple.

See this page for help.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2.html

You can use either the access point mode, or multi SSID mode. Each SSID can also have MAC filtering, and its own security.

Bear in mind that it will still be on the same subnet as your network, so you need to pay attention to sharing settings.

You may be able to do something similar with your Netgear, but pay attention to its IP address, as its probably on the wrong subnet to start with.

In both cases, connection needs to be from LAN to LAN, no WAN connection is involved.

There are more diagrams on my website.

0 Ratings
g4rt
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Re: Setting up a Guest Wifi network via a second cable router (Netgear WNDR3700)

Hello Keith,

I need to set up a guest wifi access as well as I regular get visitors at home. Would you be able to update your reply by saying what other routers could be connected to my home hub 5. Also, diagrams and screen shots would help as I'm not very techie.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Use the TP Link one which I described, in the access point mode, and simply set up a different SSID and password.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

Near the botton of the page.

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

It's not that simple.  I know others say you can do it, but it's not going to work as you think it will.  Keith is bang on though - you need to check that your other devices are indeed 'watertight' as you say.  When you use a router which has the Guest feature built-in, what it does is stop routing between the two subnets.  All traffic is simply forced out of the internet link.

However, if you hang a new router off the back of the existing HH what you're doing is actually simply providing more protection for what will be the Guest network.  The new router will NAT and firewall the Guest network, but the Internet feed for the Guest network is connected directly to the LAN on the HH5.  This means any guest can get to the LAN no problem.  Potentially this is going to allow a guest access to your devices (I realise you say your devices are water-tight, hence saying 'potentially').  If the new router allows you to specify firewall rules, rather than just allow everything from the LAN to the WAN, this may let you manually block comms from Guest to LAN, but it's not ideal.

If you really need Guest functionality to be secure you have two options:

1] Do it the other way round - use the new router for your LAN and the HH for the Guest service.

2] Use a different router on your service which does Guest services and lose the HH.

Option 2 is not something I'd recommend though as some people have greater success than others at using 3rd-party routers (unless you use the OpenReach modem).

0 Ratings
g4rt
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Hi.

Am I right in thinking that the TP router needs to be connected to the HH5 via a ethernet cable? Or are the two routers connected wirelessly to one another?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

If you really need Guest functionality to be secure you have two options:

1] Do it the other way round - use the new router for your LAN and the HH for the Guest service.

2] Use a different router on your service which does Guest services and lose the HH.

Option 2 is not something I'd recommend though as some people have greater success than others at using 3rd-party routers (unless you use the OpenReach modem).

A third option is to get another line to your property and get broadband from another ISP.

More secure, does not impact your bandwith, provides an alternative if BT broadband has problems etc.   Yes it is more expensive but basic broadband including line rental can be less than £20 per month.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

You could also consider replacing the Homehub 5 by buying a VDSL modem/router such as the Asus DSL AC68U  VDSLmodem/router which has the ability to set up a guest network along side your own private network.

0 Ratings
Projjer4444
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

I realise that lots of users will be very reluctant to swap out the HH - such an action moving the install away from "standard" with potential for problems with BT if service issues arise in the future.

I have recently come across a device that provides a guest network and that may offer those users a sufficient extra level of security.

The device I have been "playing" with over the past week is a Devolo dlan 500 wireless access point.

The device can be quite easily configured with a Guest Network Access using the excellent Devolo Cockpit application.

A dedicated SSID and password can be specified and other functions are configurable such as "Opening Hours" or "Max length of Logon for a connection" and "Only specified MAC addresses"

An IP sweep from a logged on guest gives only two visible addresses, other than any guest connections.

These are the IP address of the device itself, which seems to be impervious to any further probing and the IP of the HH which brings up the login page.

So, if you keep the HH login details safe (you have taped over the information on the HH itself haven't you?) then you will keep the details of your other connected devices away from prying eyes.

There is a comprehensive manual available for download from the Devolo website

http://www.devolo.com/products/dLAN-WLAN/dLAN-500-WiFi/data/Manual-dLAN-500-WiFi-com.pdf

Simplest install is where you have a spare router port and a nearby mains outlet.

If you lack either, or both of these, then Devolo sell a number of other devices with mains passthrough sockets and/or single or multiple ethernet ports.

If you need this extra device then it gives you the added advantage of being free to locate the wireless device at a more optimal location for your premises as it can have your private WiFi access working in parallel with the guest access.

Disclaimers :_

I have no connection or affiliation to Devolo other than a satisfied customer

Although I have some some network knowledge I am not a network security expert

HTH

Projjer4444

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Once you are logged on with the "Guest Network Access" can you see your other devices that are connected to the Homehub and access any files that are shared between devices on the Homehub network?

0 Ratings