cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baringo
Message 1 of 7

Setting up a Netgear DG834G wireless router

Hi folks

I'm new to BT Broadband, which I'm using in a relative's house and currently connected via their Voyager 105 ADSL modem.  I would like to replace this with my own DG834G, which I've been using with another ISP for several years.

Any help with configuring the Netgear router would be gratefully appreciated please.  Can anyone point me to, perhaps, a BT.com page that lists the necessary settings?  I'm not a novice but I am getting on a bit, so please be kind!

Thanks in anticipation...

Ian

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Setting up a Netgear DG834G wireless router

Hi

You will need to login in to the netgear router.

To access the login page is easy and you will be able to do this simply and easily by following these steps:

1. Connect your laptop or desktop computer to the netgear router using an ethernet cable. Note if you have already connected your laptop or dekstop computer to your netgear router wirelessly then you do not need to make the connection with an ethernet cable.

2. Power on your laptop or desktop computer and access your windows desktop.

3. Open your favourite web browser. Examples are but not limited to, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari. The one you normally use to access the internet and view web pages will do just fine.

4. In the address bar type  http://192.168.0.1   and press enter.

5. You will now see the netgear router login page and by default you will be asked to authenticate yourself by providing a username and password.

6. In the username field type in    admin

7. In the password field type in    password

8. Then press enter or click the login/ok button.

That is all you need to do in order to access your netgear router login.

From here you can change or view any of the settings within the netgear control panel. Most of the options will show further information on the right hand side of the page. Be careful when changing any of the settings if you are unsure.

The setting for BT are as follows (taken from BT.com)

Hints on configuring a non-BT router
You need to ensure that your router is configured to work on ADSL lines in the UK. Within your router's settings you will need to input a telephone number or VPI/VCI standard. In both cases you should check that this is set to 0,38. Most ADSL routers supplied for sale in the UK will be pre-set to this.

You also require your BT Broadband username. This was given to you at the time you orderd broadband and is usually made up of your.name@btbroadband.com where 'your' equals your first name and 'name' equals your surname, for example joe.bloggs@btbroadband.com. BT Broadband does not require that you enter a password to connect, but some routers won't connect to the Internet without a password. If this is the case, enter the word BT.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

the normal username is bthomehub@btinternet.com and password as already stated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NinjaZXR
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

If your brain is getting old like mine Smiley Very Happy

The setup wizard on the netgear should get you up and running.

All you require is a username e.g. anything@btbroadband.com 

Broadband username:    bthomehub@btbroadband.com     
Password:    Not configured     

Default gateway:    217.32.142.100     
Primary DNS:    62.6.40.162     
Secondary DNS:    194.72.0.98   

VPI  0
VCI  38

0 Ratings
Baringo
Message 5 of 7

Actually, I posted too soon. All I did was to change the Login and Password to my relative's details. Then I just plugged it into the phone socket and a short while later I was connected - I still am!

Thanks for the helpful replies though...

Regards
Ian
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@imjolly wrote:

the normal username is bthomehub@btinternet.com and password as already stated

I must admit I thought the username is normally anything@btbroadband.com  whereby anything means anything

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
NinjaZXR
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

You are correct Devon_Dave, anything does mean anything you like, I currently use anything@btbroadband.com Smiley Very Happy

BT use the phone number to authenticate, thats why the hubs can have a generic username.

Makes it numbnut proof for all us thick BT customers Smiley Wink

0 Ratings