cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodWilliams
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Setting up a new Smarthub

Because of abysmal service BT have sent me a smarthub to replace my hub5.  I have a few devices plus my laptop. Rather than try to set up all my devices yet again, I want to change the SSID/PW of the smarthub to that of my existing Hub5. However I can see no way of doing this "offline". If I follow the  "help???" chat and the only available paperwork I end up on My old Hub5. If I try to setup the smarthub, by disconnecting the Hub5 I lose all the data relating to my legacy devices and probably the ability to use them. Surely there must be a way to use a physical connection from my laptop to the new hub. I would value any help. PS it took me 40 minutes to find out how to pst.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Setting up a new Smarthub

Turn off your wireless connection on your laptop to the HH5. Do not connect the Smarthub to the Internet/phone socket. Plug the Smarthub in and turn it on then connect the Smarthub to the laptop by Ethernet.  

You will then be able to log onto the Smarthub http://bthomehub.home/ and you can then access the admin pages where you should be able to change the SSid/Password. Once you have done that turn off the Smarthub and disconnect the Ethernet cable.

Turn off  and disconnect your HH5 from the Internet/Phone socket. Connect up your Smarthub and turn on the wireless on your laptop and it should connect.

EDIT: In case you were trying to use a backup from the HH5 to set up the Smarthub, you can't, they are device specific.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

@RodWilliams wrote:

by disconnecting the Hub5 I lose all the data relating to my legacy devices and probably the ability to use them.

Unless you have any special settings in your HH5 about your devices, like port forwarding or fixed internal IPs. you should lose nowt about them once you have set up the HH6 to have the same WiFi SSID & pwd & connected your devices to it.

Message 4 of 9

Many thanks for first two. It is what I wanted to hear, and what BT did not want me to find out. I will try this and hopefully it will achieve what I want.  Solved to follow.

0 Ratings
RodWilliams
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

This did not work!. BT does not like the idea of giving a Hub6, a Hub5 SSID. They prefer us to amend every device other than the laptop

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I don't have a Smarthub so I can not comment first hand but I would be interested to know what happens when you try to change it and what do you mean "They prefer us to amend every device other than the laptop" 

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I think OP means only the lappy is Ethernet connected; all the rest WiFi.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Have a look at this video. It might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQOJyV6xn4

0 Ratings
RodWilliams
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

When I tried to change the name of my smarthub to that of my Hub5 BT refused to acknowledge the hub5 as a valin name.

0 Ratings