cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micksturbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Shattered HTC desire screen

First, I'd like to say thanks to contributors to this forum. Thanks to your sound advice, I recently upgraded to the HTC desire from the S710. And it is a wonderful phone. Very glad I did it. Thanks.

But last night I dislodged a jar out of a kitchen cupboard, right onto the counter top where the Desire was resting. The screen is not just slightly cracked. It's extensively crazed. Personally I blame gravity. But, whatever, it's done now...

So what do I do? BT are shut for the holidays. But anyway, it's not their problem. No, I didn't take out the insurance. Presumably I can contact HTC. Do they do repairs? Or I could use a firm that seems to have cracked (I do hate that term) the SEO for damaged htc desire screens.

Anyone got any experience to share? Advice to offer? Little bloke round the corner who's a dab hand with new screens?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

mick

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Shattered HTC desire screen

there appears to be 2 screens - the outer touch screen and the inner lcd screen.  is the lcd screen broken as well usaully see like leaking black ink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
micksturbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I'm thinking it's just the outer touch screen. When it happened, the outer screen was clearly no longer viable. It would probably start to scatter shards of glass if I shook it. But it was still working. I could operate it by touch just as normal. Nothing like leaking black ink around.

mick

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

There are two options:-

1. The sure and safe: Return it to HTC for a repair. HTC do perform repairs.  If I was a bit gingerish about the DIY, I'd send it in for repair.

2. Go on e-bay and DIY.

Are you sure your house contents insurance doesnt cover you for portable devices? Mine does, with a £50 excess.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

there is a video on you tube I think if you are a DIY person

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
micksturbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Thanks to you and Alan. 

Sounds like I'm going the HTC route. That video looks scary. I'm the kind of practical incompetent who sympathised with Niles when Frazier told him to open the bonnet of his car. "Won't that void the warranty?" 

mick

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

HTC 620 screen replacements seemed to come out at c£60 from memory.  I've no idea what the Desire will prove to be.

AQ.

0 Ratings
micksturbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

I'll call tomorrow if I get chance, & keep you posted.

mick

0 Ratings
micksturbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Quick price update for you Allan, and anyone else keeping tabs on these things.

HTC won't, reasonably enough, give a firm quote till they've seen the phone. But say that a replacement screen with no complications (such as damage to casing) should be around £84. The deal is that you post it to them, they email a quote. If you reject the quote, they return the phone and charge £20.

I've also found a firm local to me which is offering screen replacement for £58.90. I'm tempted to drop in and see them. 

My first reaction is that the prices are lower than I'd expected. I'd been warned that HTC might charge up to 60% of the price of the phone. Which they don't seem to.

The DIY option also doesn't seem particularly cheap.

cheers

mick

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Thanks, are you sure house contents insurance can't help?
AQ.

0 Ratings