cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

Shetland Broadband on its nose AGAIN!!!!

Once more with feeling.....

Yet again I find myself having to complain about appallingly slow broadband speeds up here in Shetland. Just done a speed test with the BT Wholesale link (speedtest.btwholsesale.com) and I'm getting 0.50Megs  up and 0.09 down, absolute joke.

Can we get something done about this please? How many times does this have to happen before somebody somewhere will actually fix the problem up here?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 25

Re: Shetland Broadband on its nose AGAIN!!!!

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your having trouble again with your broadband.

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you.

Once you have provided the information needed below, the community members can then help you.

A summary of the checks are:

1) Are you connected by master or test socket?.
2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, ethernet, connection]
3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 from landline. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone. - 
4) please post adsl line statistics 

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 25

Firstly, I cannot get the speedtest to run it keeps giving me this error:

FAQ

System Error Image not loaded

The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Router stats below:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 21:36:35
Downstream2,272 Kbps
Upstream288 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.5 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)58.0 dB / 30.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.1 dBm / 11.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)3504 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1
0 Ratings
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 25

As stated before I did a test at the BT Wholesale link (it won't let you copy and paste the results but I can assure you they were  Up 0.50Megs  Down 0.09Megs). When I clicked on the button to do "Further Diagnostics" it came up with the standard speedtest page and again this failed with the same error message.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 25

was the speedtest ,which you got 0.50Megs up and 0.09 down, done with the computer connected to the homehub by Ethernet (wired) or Wireless (WiFi) connection?

From those statistics I can't see any problems as your sync rate (the speed between the router and exchange) is at 2,272 Kbps (2.2mb). Your noise margin is slightly higher than the 6dB target and your connection time is 0 Days 21:36:35, but should not cause the 0.5meg.

The errors seem fine too.

Due to your line length you may not be able a speed of over 2.9mb

cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 25

My computer is connected to the router by ethernet cable.

The disconnection earlier was not of my making (eg a router reset) it was a drop out - cause unknown.

I'm supposed to be on a guaranteed speed of 2Megs. Achieving that on a consistent basis would be nice.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 25

how was the Quite Line Test?

dial 17070 option2 from landline. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 25

Quiet line test was quiet! No noise at all.

These problems are largely network related, nothing to do with my equipment or line. Shetland is connected by microwave relay links not a cable so there are always problems and BT do nothing about it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

I don't want to cut across the customer-tocustomer self help element of this thread here; but; BB goes on its nose all day every day somewhere in the UK for a variety of reasons. I see from the status board [now] there is an unresolved issue from 0830 in the South of England.

Ive seen the Shetlands issue before on here, if its all of the Shetlands, then Openreach really need to have a look at the provisioning in the Exchange. It might be the exchange, a group of properties or a property.

There's a list as long as your arm of reasons why this might happen as we know, weather, cable theft, REIN [Repetitive Electrical Interference Noise] within the whole or part of an exchange, or just to one property.

BB was on its nose in my exchange alone this year for:

A supermarket backup generator REIN issue; a burglar alarm irregular short-circuit; lightening; anothers customers CD player.

Good luck anyway.

The bottom line truth though is, it happens everywhere, all the time.

Which is no consolation or joy at all. Smiley Sad

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 25

At least there is no noise.

Ah, ok. Went upto Skye recently and remember seeing Openreach Exchanges with like microdishes. Would have thought they would be more reliable than old long copper lines.

We'll see what the others say.

Sorry I couldn't help you.

cheers

Try a Search