cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 28

Shocking speeds since I signed up

Hi

Can anyone help shed some light on my speed issues for me please??

When i signed up to BT I was quoted speeds of 2.5 - 6.5Meg.

When i was connected I was recieving speeds of around 0.4Meg from Talk Talk. when i changed over to BT I got the exact same 0.4Meg.

I called to complain about my speed and was then told I had to wait 10days before anyone would look into my speed issues - This annoyed me as it had not been mentioned at any time before I was connected.

After 10 days with speeds ranging from 0.02 to 0.6meg I contacted BT again to be told I needed a reset and that there was a line fault and to wait 10 more days

So 20 days in and still running at 0.4 meg, then after another age on the phone to BT, more resets and testing of things I had by this time done countless times at BT's request, I have to wait 2 weeks for an engineer to attend my house. (this was actually booked without any discussion or planning with me...)

So the engineer attends, goes to the cab for several hours and returns saying he has sorted various things there but the best incommer at the cab is 5.7meg.

He installs a new master socket into the house, removes the only other unused socket from the house, re makes the connection from the telegraph pole to my house and we test and get 2.3Meg... Good but not the promised speed at the time of sign up.

The enigheer says there are a very high number of errors on the line according to his test equipment, that is the best speed he can achieve and that my profile should be reset.

The next day, another open reach van arrives 3 dorrs up the road, my speed is already down to 2meg before it dropps out altogether for an hour or so, returning back at 0.2 meg.

I call to report this and the whole process starts again and im told i require a profile reset! Now i have been with BT for 6 weeks and this is at least the 5th time i have been reset.

I now have a woman calling me every few days to follow up on my issue, and we go through the process of changing the WiFi channel and the speed gets up to 1.3 - 1.5Meg and im asked if i am happy with this, I answer no as I was sold 2.5 meg Min and this has still not been achieved, how long do i have to keep resetting and changing WiFi channels before this works?????

Some information:

I have one socket in the house, I have afilter installed into this (tested with many filters now)

I have a 6 week old home hub 3

Speeds i am currently running at are around 0.2 - 0.4 meg then around 1.4 - 1.6 meg after changing WiFi channels.

WiFi speeds and wired speeds are the same at the same times within reason.

My phone line is clear but my speed is shocking.

I have missed out a lot of what has gone on with hours upon hours on the phone to BT, no call backs etc but overall i have to say the level of service i have recieved from BT has been hurrendous. after 6 weeks to be not even close to the speeds promised except for around 6 hours is not acceptable.

Has anyone got any ideas that may help at all as i am at the point of pulling my contract from BT and taking my custom elsewhere.

Thanks

Alex

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Shocking speeds since I signed up

Hi welcome to the community forums were customers hel each other to get the best out of there BT products and services

Hi first could you please post your full hub stats enter 192.168.1.254 in to your browser address bar and once past the password page navigate to broadband then connection aamd post the full hub stats including the hidden ones by clicking on show more detail tab
Also could you post the full results from the BT speedtester speedtester.bt.com.
Please use the. Adsl / fibre test not the beta test
We can then help you further
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 28

Hi John,
Im currently away from home but will get the other half to run tests and send so I can post them tomorrow evening.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Ok thanks there is always someone around to offer help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 28

Info as requested:

ADSL Line Status Connection Information

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 05:19:29

Downstream: 768 Kbps Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up): 10.0 dB / 16.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 57.7 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 15.2 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 4 / 44

CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4904 / 3161

The unit has not been powered down in weeks however as you can see, the system shows that we have only been connected for 5 hours.

The other half cant run the bt speed tester on her mac for some reason but doen load speed is currently 0.6 meg.

Any help is appreciated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 28

Hi,

Are you connected to the master socket or test socket?

If in master socket, then try test socket and repost stats

Your noise margin is at 10dB which is higher than the normal 6dB margin.

Your line is about 4.1km long and I would estimate a speed between 2.5-3.2mb on adslMax for a good line

Are you able to post a full BT speedtest that shows the IP Profile. http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 28

Hi jac_95,

His attenuation is higher than mine and I estimate I am c.5km line length from the exchange.  After an engineer messed with my line the speeds I got on 20CN varied from 0.1 - 1.8Mbps with an average around 1.4Mbps.

I therefore suspect the speed estimate was grossly exagerated ?  I'm sure imjolly & john46 will have a view on this.

I can't understand why, when the engineer replaced the master socket, did he not fit an ADSL Adaptor ?

I don't think the full BT speed test works on a Mac as it does not allow Java ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

are you dropping connection or is the short conenction time due a manusl reset?  probably didn't fit a filtered faceplate as there is no other sockets/ internal wiring to cause noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

looks like possible noise issues causing random disconnections there is only a limited amount of available noise margin that will nor increase connection speed much
It may be worth trying the test socket as there have been a few posts with faulty face plates in the past
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 28

hi dfenceman,

The speed estimation was from kitz.co.uk which said this:

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream
Attenuation
 57 dBApprox
Line Length
 4.1km

dslMAX (20CN)3200 kbpsIP Profile2500 kbps

BT 21CN WBC
& adsl2+
3488 kbpsIP Profile 3076 kbps

adsl2+ (LLU)3488 kbpsThroughput3087 kbps

This is only an estimate and can vary from line to line due to many factors like line material, line age, line quality, ect...

Strange how lines can actually vary alot in speed :L

CheatedCustomer might be worth trying the test socket.

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings