Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mXb
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Short Occasional Interuptions in Broadband

Go to solution

I've been getting very intermittent brief interuptions in my broadband, according to my Home Hub.

They are all around 30 seconds between "dsl down" and "dsl up".

I assume that they are not actually all the same length of interuption, presumably it just takes 30 seconds for the hub to resynch ?

Anyway a BT eng came to my house, checked the internal wiring, tested the line ok albeit for only 5 mins, replaced the main socket with one that has 2 sockets, one for broadband and one landline etc (I now have 3 defunct microfilters, how much are they worth on Ebay ?).

But seriously, he also changed the H H from 2 to a number 3 and this appears to have fixed a very loud noise problem that had also started happening !!!

Unfortunately, on checking the Event Log, the 30 second interuptions are still happening ! In fact one occurred whilst I was on the Internet today and Win 7 very helpfully showed a message page from the H H 3 telling me that the broadband was down and mirrored  the 3  H H lights.

I have the standard routing of copperwire from my house via cabinet to my small local exchange, and thence by broadband to the main exchange in the main town according to BT customer service.

My question is does BT monitor the Broadband at my small local exchange in any way or do they just rely on customer complaints to draw their attention to faults on broadband systems ?

If they don't monitor it,  when I carry on with my complaint (which I started at the beginning of December ) do they have the means to monitor it to localise the problem ?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: Short Occasional Interuptions in Broadband

Go to solution

Hi mXb

1) Please can you post your adsl line statistics. See "ADSL Line Statistic Help" below for help.

2) Also please can you dial 17070 from your landline phone and select option 2 called quite line test. Listen for about 2 minutes and there sound be no noise (ie no crackling, hissing, popping, ect..) But a slight dull hum normal for a cordless phone.

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you. To see the main menu of the ADSL help section go to: 

Also have a look here: Why has my speed dropped 

All the above links belong to Keith.

As to the monitoring of your line, the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) continuously monitions your line for stability and also looks at what speed your line can cope with. BT Retail (your communication provider/ISP) can see the history of certain connection problems such as dsl dropouts for your line. I think they can also see what router your using (as when I called BT  a year or so back they said I was using a Belkin router, which I was, then asked if I had a BT Router to try)

This information will help the community help you find what the problem is.

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A Ver.4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 DO Not Click if you have BTHomeHub3 firmware ending in 94.1.11 see below for link)

Or http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (For BTHomeHub3.A Ver.4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
mXb
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi jar_95

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, ooops!. I "Clicked" and my HH3 ends in 94.1.11 !

Have I done some irreparable damage ?

0 Ratings
mXb
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Secondly I have taken screen grabs of the info you wanted.

Hopefully I will be able to post them on this forum.....BT HH3 ADSL Line Status   15 Jan 2013.jpgBT HH Software   15 Jan 2013.jpgBT Speed Test   15 Jan 2013.jpg

0 Ratings
mXb
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

....I checked the Event Log and no "adsl down" as far back as it goes, however I see the ADSL Status connection time says

1 day 01:12:31.

Does that mean just over 1 day  since the last "down" ?

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi mXb,

Don't worry, it shouldn't have done anything wrong, just takes you to a different page.

Try this http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9118

Or you can try the Hub's menu.

Edit: Yes The counter shows that the homehub has had a adsl connection for 1 day 01:12:31.

Your line attenuation is 33.8dB which would make your line approx 2.4-2.5km long. On a good quality line with a line attenuation of 33 I would have estimated a speed between 11mbps to 13mbps on adsl2+.

Have you tried the Test socket?

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
mXb
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi jac_95, sorry for mis spelling your name,

I haven't tried the Test socket as the HH3 is flush fitted into I believe an Infinity type socket ?  The landline plugged into the socket below.

For some weeks before the BT eng came I had the HH2 plugged directly into the "main" socket with the landline calls set to ring the broadband phone.  There was still the problem with it like this.

The BT man checked my internal wiring and line tested for 5 mins and all ok.

I think the problem is either a poor connection on the copper wire to the local exchange or a problem on th broadband from there.

Maybe the other customers on that broadband also get the same problem but have lower expections from BT than I do ? 

I would say that the problem isn't serious just annoying, but needs fixing.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Dim Problem mXb.

Ah Ok, So you have a master socket like I have for a adsl broadband connection. like the image below. My master socket was changed to a VDSL type master socket by a broadband boost engineer due to our very long landline and because we had a problem with the older adsl v.1 master socket as when the phone rang or when we used the phone the broadband would get cut off.

vdsl-faceplate.jpg

Did you do the quite line test? There shouldn't really be any noise as it can effect the broadband's performance if there is any noise on the line. However a slight dul hum is normal on a cordless phone.

Maybe another forum member who has a bit more experience in the domain will be able to help you more.

The reason why I joined this forum earlier in the year was to see if I could improve my 0.8mbps to 1.5mbps broadband speed and to see what the benefits were of adsl2+ (21cn network)

Cheers

Try a Search
0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Sorry for being a bit of topic, but in message 4 you have a screenshot which shows the network from exchange to home to computer and the relevant speeds. How do you get this? Because All I get are the normal stats, speed/noise/attenuation/errors etc.

Cheers,

Alan.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi ach2,

The speedtest with the image of the local exchange and home isn't actually from the homehub interface.

It's a speedtest from BT Retails speedtester at http://diagnostics.bt.com/speedtest/

It's good for some things but the best one is the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com version as you can check your IP Profile as well.

Also for me the http://diagnostics.bt.com/speedtest/ says my connection is poor from the exchange to my property, but actually it is the best connection I can currently get. Have a look here: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/The-diagnostics-bt-com-speedtest/m-p/675624/highlight/tr...

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Try a Search
0 Ratings