cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UncleErnie
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Should Home Hub 3 be switched off during TV Recording and Playback?

Go to solution

To enable recording and playback of programmes an external disk drive is connected to the TV.

When the hard drive is switched on the hub broadband light is mostly orange but sometimes is blue. When the hard drive is
turned off the light remains blue. The same hard drive connected to a computer does not affect the hub.

I have moved the Home Hub as far as possible from the TV and the hard drive and changed the channel number, which gives small improvements.

When the hard disk is switched on are there any disadvantages in letting the hub do who its own thing or would it be better to switch it off?

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Should Home Hub 3 be switched off during TV Recording and Playback?

Go to solution

It would appear the the Hard Drive is causing interference with the Homehub. Are the two devices plugged into the same electrical socket. If they are you could try using separate sockets. 

I would recommend that you get to the root of the problem because it could affect your speed if you are on "normal" broadband. If you are on Infinity and using an Openreach modem it should not affect your speeds but it should still not be happening.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Its usually the cheap switched mode power supply units that are supplied with these external hard disk drives, which cause the interference. Most of these units use 12V DC, so if you can find a suitable power unit of a different manufacture, it may help.

0 Ratings
UncleErnie
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Home Hub Interference

Go to solution

When a Home Hub 3 is suffering interference from a known source, should it be switched off or left on to wait for the interference to stop?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Re: Home Hub Interference

Go to solution

Obviously if the interference is affecting the Homehub's performance, the device that is causing the interference should be switched off not the Homehub but if you'd rather not do that you should consider what I have already said:-

"I would recommend that you get to the root of the problem because it could affect your speed if you are on "normal" broadband. If you are on Infinity and using an Openreach modem it should not affect your speeds but it should still not be happening"

Switching the Homehub off and on can cause loss of speed if you are on "normal" broadband.

0 Ratings
UncleErnie
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

No, they are in separate sockets several metres from each other.

When the the hard drive is switched on there is no interference until the USB cable is connected to the TV. The intererference then occurs even if the TV is disconnected from the mains. Maybe the TV trminates the cable, which then acts as an aerial. As soon as the hard drive is switched off the hub reurns to normal.

As I do not intend to spend much time recording and playing back TV this no big deal. Just curious to know what is happening.

Many thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
UncleErnie
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I tried shielding the HDD and power pack with aluminium foil; moving router to another room etc. Small improvements but it did not solve the problem.

Eventually, I bought a USB powered HDD and every thing is now working.

Many thanks to those who offered advice.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I am pleased you found the solution.

I have taken apart a few of these cheap switched mode power units that come with external disk drives.

None of them had any proper filtering  to prevent the transmission of radio interference down the power input.

I also had a power unit which supplies LED lights, cause my broadband to disconnect.

Broadband uses radio frequencies and will be badly affected by these units.

0 Ratings