Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulRB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Should I give Broadband another try?

Hi all,

About 7 or 8 years ago, I attempted to sign up for broadband. A BT engineer visited my property. He tested the signal at the master socket, then at the top of the pole near the house. He said it would not support ADSL at all. Then he made his way back towards the exchange. He called back to say that, 2 miles from my house, he was able to get a signal indicating the line would just about support the lowest speed, at that point in the line.

As you can guess, I live in a very rural part of West Yorkshire, a small pocket within 10 miles of 3 or 4 major cities and several small towns. But up here on the moor, its just us, a few neighbours, alot of sheep and wind turbines!

For several years after the visit from the engineer, BT's broadband availability checker showed that broadband was not available on my line (given the phone number, not just the postcode). But these days it says 1MB up to 3.5MB. I don't know when it changed in the invervening years.

So here's the question: does this change indicate that some work has taken place that might now allow broadband on my line, or simply that the engineer's finding from all those years ago has been lost from the database?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Should I give Broadband another try?

Hi PaulRB,

What does it say for your landline number when you go to http://dslchecker.bt.com

Do you know if your neighbours have broadband?

Edit: sorry correct link now given

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
PaulRB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Like I said: 1 to 3.5MB for Adsl 2. It also quotes 0.75 to 2.5 for adsl max.

The neighbours don't have broadband over the phone either. One has satellite, another uses 3G, as we do.

The 3G only works with a booster antenna attached to the usb dongle. In the early morning the speed is ok, around 3.5MB. For the rest of the day, including weekends, the speed drops to as low as 0.1 to 0.5MB, although the upload speed seems to hold up at around 3MB. I assume this is congestion in our cell or the backhaul connection
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

certainly worth a try
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 10

I would agree with john46, it's worth a try to see if you can get broadband. The technology has moved on a bit since 7 or 8 years ago so worth a try.

Also you say you're in West Yorkshire. Do you know if your area is covered by a BDUK scheme. As your in West Yorkshire you may be under the Superfast West Yorkshire BDUK scheme which aims to get 100% of properties covered by the BDUK scheme to get >2mbps min and around 97% of the area having access to superfast broadband.

The Superfast West Yorkshire website is http://www.superfastwestyorkshire.co.uk/   and the coverage map is here http://www.superfastwestyorkshire.co.uk/coverage

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
PaulRB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks. I registered my interest on that site a year or two ago. Unfortunately, although my local council's logo appears on that main page, it doesn't look like Kirklees is covered at all on that coverage map.

I will look into giving the broadband another go.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Hi PaulRB,

It does seem a little surprising that Kirklees is not covered when it is one of the supporting councils.  I would suggest contacting the SuperfastWY project team for clarification. 

Should you decide to apply for broadband I would suggest you get clear a understanding from your chosen ISP about the speed you will get.  You don't want to fork out and then find the BB is unusable.  I'm sure one of the CL's will be along shortly to tell you how to do this.

Good luck

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
PaulRB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I found this on the "About" page of the Super Fast West Yorkshire site:

"Four local authorities - Calderdale, Bradford, Leeds and Wakefield are involved in all aspects of the Superfast West Yorkshire programme.  Kirklees are involved in the Demand Stimulation and Broadband Business support elements only."

So that sounds to me like Kirklees haven't had enough homes registering interest...

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Hi PaulRB,

I would sill suggest contacting the project team to get definitive information.  I tried looking at the map but without local knowledge it did not make much sense to me.

If it is anything like my BDUK project, Connecting Cambridgeshire, then 98% of homes and businesses will get fibre-based broadband by the end of 2015. More than 90% of homes and businesses will be able to get broadband speeds of 24 Mbps and higher, with a minimum of 2 Mbps for very nearly 100% of premises.

Hopefully you will not fall in the very limited "nearly" category.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
PaulRB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thanks dfenceman, unfortunately, I suspect my area could well be in that "nearly" category! I live on the very bottom edge of that map, maybe slightly off it (hard to tell, not much detail when you zoom in). I am very close to the border with the South Yorkshire/Sheffield area.

2 or 3 years back, a committee of local residents from 3 or 4 nearby villages got together and looked into getting a small telecoms company to put fibre to our local cabinets. When the estimate came in at around £200K, and the process of applying for grants to cover all or part of that figure turned out to be very long winded, I suspect alot of locals lost interest. I have not heard anything from that committee since then.

0 Ratings