Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kennethsross
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Should I take the plunge?

Hi Folks

I've come to this forum, because I'm on the verge of requesting FTTC broadband. Our exchange and cabinet have just gone live for Infinity, and I would certainly benefit from faster upload as I regularly upload large audio files.

However, all the reported problems on here cause me to hesitate.........

I'm very close to the cabinet, and the BT wholesale checker suggests I should get virtually maximum speeds on both download and upload.

So what's the story?..... Are the majority of customers happy - are these hassles affecting a minority, whether the disconnects or slow evening speeds?

I could go with TalkTalk, (my present ADSL provider) but it will still be BT who will need to fix any issues, so thought I might as well just take the service from them directly......

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Should I take the plunge?

BT have 6.3 million customers, granted they don't all have Infinity but a few million do. Most forum members only come on here because they have a problem. Very few come on to say how good it is. The average number of people on here complaining at any one time is less than one hundred.

Most of the problems are either line related which are the same lines as all ISPs use except Virgin, or related to the Homehubs and in particular the wireless signal. While I accept that you shouldn't have to buy a modem/router, but if the people who have homehub problems bought a decent modem/router the majority of complaints on this forum would go away. 

Go ahead and get Infinity and you will hopefully be one of the millions who have no problems.

Dode
Expert
Message 3 of 6

I’ve had Infinity1 since last November and apart from the HH5 re-booting itself a few times in early January everything has gone fine. The installation all went well with no problems. Biggest laugh was when they came to set up the computer and discovered it was a Mac. They were pushing each other to the front. Luckily I new what I was doing. At the moment I’m using Wifi and I’m getting max around 37m of a possible 39m and it can sometimes drop to around 30m in the evening. I don’t upload very much. It’s around 5m. All in all I’m more than happy.

garyevs
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I am in the same position, also considering signing up for BT Infinity. 

It seems that people are really complaining about the lack or ineffective support they receive when they do have a problem.  It seems that the BT service desk just go through the motions rather than actually getting things fixed.  Is there a plan to return this service to the UK, as this may improve things ?

I have a couple of other queries I hope someone can help with:

Do BT throttle the service at any time, or block any ports ?

Are there any restrictions to users using a VPN ?

My current provider provides a webpage showing connection logs etc, is this type of thing available ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@garyevs wrote:

I am in the same position, also considering signing up for BT Infinity. 

It seems that people are really complaining about the lack or ineffective support they receive when they do have a problem.  It seems that the BT service desk just go through the motions rather than actually getting things fixed.  Is there a plan to return this service to the UK, as this may improve things ? No plans.

I have a couple of other queries I hope someone can help with:

Do BT throttle the service at any time, or block any ports ? No throttling on any of the Totally Unlimited Packages

Are there any restrictions to users using a VPN ? No

My current provider provides a webpage showing connection logs etc, is this type of thing available ? Depends what you are looking for. Nothing is provided by BT in the form of a log that shows what or when you connected but you can access the Homehub router stats.

Thanks in advance.

kennethsross
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, guys

Took the plunge, and placed an order on Thursday evening. When I read the 5 pages of info on the online receipt, it seemed that my HD bolt-on had not been added to the package. I called customer support on Friday morning, and was asked to check the details on the offer I had selected (Infinity 2 + All Day Calls + BT- TV Entertainment Pack + HD bolt-on). When I checked this, I saw the Sainsbury's Voucher had increased from £50 to £100.

The Customer Service guy said no problem. I'll cancel last night's order, and start again. Everything went fine, got the proper bolt-on showing for HD, and will hopefully get not only my £100 Sainsbury's Gift Card, but also my Quidco £140 cashback.

I received a BT Order Confirmation email almost immediately, with an Order Number, but it tells me another Order Confirmation will follow. How long does this generally take to arrive?

0 Ratings