Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 45

Should I upgrade to infinity?

Hi

Newbie here.

Our cabinet, maybe 2km ish away, has been upgraded to FTTC a few months ago.

As first we were told we could only get 'faster broadband' but I understand this has been discontinued and we are now being offered infinity.

I am on ADSL currently and get 5mb connection. http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6798709153.png

My concern is that the range quoted on the BT chceker for infinity appears to suggest that infinity might actually be slower than ADSL, but also that it might be as high as 9mb.

Now my understanding is poor, but 5mb for ADSL is right at the top of the checker's expected values. Therefore can I extrapolate that I will get the top end of the infinity range, quoted at 9mb?

Maybe not relavant, but the checker's values for infinty have recently gone up from 7mb to the new 9mb number. Is this any indication of line quality?

I would pay for infinity if I were to get solid 9mb. But I would not pay infinity if it were to give 5mb or even lower.

Advice grately appriciated! Scrrenshots below.

Finally, and less importantly, is there any material difference in the BT and Sky fibre product? BT refuse to offer me the black friday deal at £29 a month and want to charge me £45 a month for infinity, but sky will offer it to me for £25. Madness.

Thanks

Will

original.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 12.43.42.png

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

At those speeds I would stick with what you have. If you changed you could actually drop to the lower estimate and you would have no recourse to BT because you would still be in your estimated speed range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 45

Its your choice but to me your doing well with copper and looks as if it better than the estimates for fibre.

BT, sky etc all use the same Open Reach copper/ fibre to you so I would guess should be around the same performance of course Virgin Media use their own fibre system.

Prices look at Martin Lewis web site and see if he still got a special deal with an ISP, he got me good BT price and £125 cash card and £40 cash back, total result about half price for a year.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 45

Thanks. Yes that is my concern. Is there anyway to quantify that risk, or even have a test performed to prove it out?

Having 7-9mb would be a significant improvement over the current 5, so I would be keen to prove out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 45

You are on adslmax and could upgrade to adsl2 which may give slight speed I crease but certainly will increase your up speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 45

I would definitely upgrade as VDSL is far better and given the price I know who I'd go with

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 45

ADSL2 I hadn't heard of that and it sounds interesting. Thanks. My upload is very poor. How do I go about upgrading? I cannot see anything on the BT site.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 45

You can see adsl2+ on the vhecker results you posted

The mods can help and will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 45

Thanks I will investigate that.

I'd welcome other comments on my original question - shoudl I upgrade to infinity and how can I be sure of the speeds I'll get beforehand?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 45

Do not think you can know before you change.

Does your present system do what you want?

Many people want FASTER fibre for say a Smart TV to stream extra TV channels and also videos.  Particulary in UHD 4K.  But you not going to with any of the 3 systems mentioned.

0 Ratings