cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

Thanks. We understand 9mb won't deliver HD streaming etc. But it would represent a speed increase of 80% on what we have currently, which would be a significant improvement.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 45

@WillJones wrote:
Thanks. We understand 9mb won't deliver HD streaming etc. But it would represent a speed increase of 80% on what we have currently, which would be a significant improvement.

But you may only get 4.7Mb as you must be a long distance from the cabinet. Others who have taken the upgrade option, have been disappointed, and gone back to ADSL2+.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 45

@WillJones wrote:

As your line is currently delivering top of the estimate speeds, this indicates your wiring from the cab is in good condition and so you should expect top of the estimate speeds for VDSL too.

To me the choice is a no-brainer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 45

Would it be easy to go back thougth?

I note you say people gone back but reading forums it comes over as very nearly impossible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 45

If your line doesn't meet the hand-back speeds shown in the dslchecker, you can hand it back.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 45

So he as to go fibre and get 2 Mps or less  before he can change back, so he can be up to 2.9 Mps worse than now at his 5 Mps before that can happen.

Hard choice, a bit of a gamble.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 45

@adslmax wrote:
As your line is currently delivering top of the estimate speeds, this indicates your wiring from the cab is in good condition and so you should expect top of the estimate speeds for VDSL too.

To me the choice is a no-brainer.

You are comparing apples with oranges. VDSL and ADSL are two different things. You can not guarantee that the VDSL signal will be the same as the ADSL signal. The VDSL signal drops off far more rapidly than the ADSL signal over longer distances, which the OP obviously is from the cabinet.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 45

gg30340 wrote:

The VDSL signal drops off far more rapidly than the ADSL signal over longer distances, which the OP obviously is from the cabinet.

If you think there is a problem with the estimates given for VDSL on this line, I suggest you take it up with Openreach not me.

Don't shoot the messenger 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 45

I agree with @gg30340

There is a vast difference between an ADSL signal with an upper frequency limit of about 2Mb, and a VDSL signal that starts at 2.2Mb and extends up to 12Mb.

Transmission losses increase quite a bit from 2Mb upwards. You may even have some aluminium cable from the cabinet to your house, that makes matters worse.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 45

@adslmax wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

The VDSL signal drops off far more rapidly than the ADSL signal over longer distances, which the OP obviously is from the cabinet.

If you think there is a problem with the estimates given for VDSL on this line, I suggest you take it up with Openreach not me.

Don't shoot the messenger 😉

You're missing the point. You stated that because the OP had a good line for ADSL they would also have a good line for VDSL.  You can't necessarily extrapolate that, the frequency responses of the 2 systems are not comparable.