cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
546 Views
Message 21 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

That picture looks like it was copied from a Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
541 Views
Message 22 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?


@adslmax wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

The VDSL signal drops off far more rapidly than the ADSL signal over longer distances, which the OP obviously is from the cabinet.

If you think there is a problem with the estimates given for VDSL on this line, I suggest you take it up with Openreach not me.

 

Don't shoot the messenger 😉


I do not have a problem with the estimated range given by Openreach but I do have a problem with your statement "As your line is currently delivering top of the estimate speeds, this indicates your wiring from the cab is in good condition and so you should expect top of the estimate speeds for VDSL too"

 

While it is possible that he will get the top estimate there is no way he  "should expect top of the estimate speeds for VDSL too"  as you have stated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
540 Views
Message 23 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

No, you're missing the point. You seem to think that Openreach are unaware of this and haven't taken account of it in their estimates.

Don't tell me, tell Openreach.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
532 Views
Message 24 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?


@adslmax wrote:

That picture looks like it was copied from a Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty 🙂


It came from Wikipedia, yes it does look like a load of missiles Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
498 Views
Message 25 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?


@gg30340 wrote:

You are comparing apples with oranges. VDSL and ADSL are two different things. You can not guarantee that the VDSL signal will be the same as the ADSL signal. 


Does this mean that good ADSL performance versus expected does not mean good fibre performance versus expected? Is there any correlation at all?

 

Can I pay BT, or someone else, to survey by line and tell me what my fibre speed will be?

 

Otherwise this seems a bit crazy. They offer me a new 'faster' service which might actually be slower, but it is certainly more expensive. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
483 Views
Message 26 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

" They offer me a new 'faster' service which might actually be slower"

 

Yes the chart you quoted in your OP says the bottom of range to be 2.5 Mps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
482 Views
Message 27 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?


@WillJones wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

You are comparing apples with oranges. VDSL and ADSL are two different things. You can not guarantee that the VDSL signal will be the same as the ADSL signal. 


Does this mean that good ADSL performance versus expected does not mean good fibre performance versus expected? Is there any correlation at all?

 

Can I pay BT, or someone else, to survey by line and tell me what my fibre speed will be?

 

Otherwise this seems a bit crazy. They offer me a new 'faster' service which might actually be slower, but it is certainly more expensive. 


Personally I would stick with what you have.

 

Infinity is only really of any benefit if you live close to a cabinet, and can get a guaranteed minimum speed of 15Mbs.

 

On long lines, it can be more difficult to maintain a VDSL connection, as the amount of electrical noise pickup, and crosstalk, can cause frequent disconnections.

 

 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
466 Views
Message 28 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

VDSL and ADSL work on different frequencies so you can not say because you get good on one you will get good on the other. It's like saying because you get good AM radio you will get good FM radio over the same area/distance.

 

See link for a comparison

 

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-adsl-and-vdsl/

 

There is noway to tell how your line will perform prior to setting it up. That is why BT/Openreach give an estimated range that your speeds should fall into.

 

BT however will give you a guaranteed minimum speed which is normally the "handback" speed which in your case is lower than your present speeds. This means as long as it delivers above the minimum guaranteed speed you are stuck with it.

 

It is up to you but given what you have and what you are likely to gain, or potentially lose I don't think it is worth it.

 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
459 Views
Message 29 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

 


@gg30340 wrote:

VDSL and ADSL work on different frequencies so you can not say because you get good on one you will get good on the other. It's like saying because you get good AM radio you will get good FM radio over the same area/distance.

 

See link for a comparison

 

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-adsl-and-vdsl/

 

There is noway to tell how your line will perform prior to setting it up. That is why BT/Openreach give an estimated range that your speeds should fall into.

 

BT however will give you a guaranteed minimum speed which is normally the "handback" speed which in your case is lower than your present speeds. This means as long as it delivers above the minimum guaranteed speed you are stuck with it.

 

It is up to you but given what you have and what you are likely to gain, or potentially lose I don't think it is worth it.

 


Thanks. I am hearing bad news! SOunds likes its best to stay put.

 

The only solution I can think of to test it would be to buy a second line with fibre, on the shortest contract I can find, and test it. 

 

Expensive though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
453 Views
Message 30 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

Do you have Virgin Media available?

0 Ratings