Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 45

Re: Should I upgrade to infinity?

@gg30340 wrote:

VDSL and ADSL work on different frequencies so you can not say because you get good on one you will get good on the other. It's like saying because you get good AM radio you will get good FM radio over the same area/distance.

See link for a comparison

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-adsl-and-vdsl/

There is noway to tell how your line will perform prior to setting it up. That is why BT/Openreach give an estimated range that your speeds should fall into.

BT however will give you a guaranteed minimum speed which is normally the "handback" speed which in your case is lower than your present speeds. This means as long as it delivers above the minimum guaranteed speed you are stuck with it.

It is up to you but given what you have and what you are likely to gain, or potentially lose I don't think it is worth it.

Why don't BT, in cases like mine where its a long way from the house to the FTTC cabinet, use fibre to the cabinet and then ADSL from the cabinet to my house? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 45

but that is what FTTC is - Fibre To The Cabinet and your existing copper line from cabibnet to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 45

@imjolly wrote:

but that is what FTTC is - Fibre To The Cabinet and your existing copper line from cabibnet to your home

From that article I understood it was VDSL from the cabinet to my house, which degrades quickly over distance.

If they could use ADSL from the cabinet to my house, it would be faster?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 45

only way you will get any faster is FTTP - Fibre To The Premises

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 45

@imjolly wrote:

only way you will get any faster is FTTP - Fibre To The Premises

Yes I think I am realising that now. Whats that, 10 years away in an affordable fashion?

But I am curious as to why they dont use ADSL from the FTTC cabinet to my house. A hybrid solution like that would half the ADSL distance from the exchange I think.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 45

They can not mix the two. ADSL and VDSL are two different things. You get the VDSL signal via fibre to the cabinet then it goes along the copper wire from your cabinet to your house.

The VDSL signal ca not change to become aa ADSL signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 45

There are 2 varieties of the  equipment that provides the xDSL signal (DSLAM), ADSL DSLAMs are provided in exchanges and VDSL DSLAMS are provided in cabinets. There can't be a mix of each at either location for technical reasons. It is only in very rare corner cases (usually very rural areas) such as yours where the distances from exchange and cabinet are such that both ADSL and VDSL are both very slow.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 45

@licquorice wrote:

There are 2 varieties of the  equipment that provides the xDSL signal (DSLAM), ADSL DSLAMs are provided in exchanges and VDSL DSLAMS are provided in cabinets. There can't be a mix of each at either location for technical reasons. It is only in very rare corner cases (usually very rural areas) such as yours where the distances from exchange and cabinet are such that both ADSL and VDSL are both very slow.

Interesting. Thank you all for you very helpful replies. I have learnt a lot today. 

Is there any program, trial, initative etc that I should be aware of that can help me here? Can I get FTTP somehow at a reasonable price?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 45

@WillJonesCan I get FTTP somehow at a reasonable price?

if ther was there would be a very very long queueSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 45

The Availability checker you posted answers your question FTTP On demand at 330 Mps is abailable to you.

0 Ratings