cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broomer
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Should my Infinity be reconnected to a newly installed closer street cabinet?

Hi.

I'm new here as I have an Infinity speed/connection querie and I don't know whether or not to get BT out to look at it.

When I had Infinity installed six months ago I signed up for the 76mb service. Once connected I was only getting download speeds of ~25mb. Our town had only recently began fibre optic roll out though and the street cabinet that I was connected to is around one mile away from where I live (the installer told me where the cabinet is). At the time I thought it was ok.

Anyway a couple of monts ago another street box was installed on the main road that's runs directly between my house and the street box I was originally connected to and it's much closer to my house. I had expected my broadand speed to increase now as I thought that I would now automatically have my Infinity connected to the closer cabinet, but I have not had any speed change.

Should my connection be swapped to the closer cabinet now it's there? Someone I know who lives very close to this new cabinet gets ~53mb download speeds.

I can call BT out to look for a fault due to slow speeds, but I'm worried that they will charge me £129.99 that they state they will charge if a fault is found at my home (I'm 100% sure there's no fault here) or if they say there's nothing wrong.

What should I do?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Should my Infinity be reconnected to a newly installed closer street cabinet?

With regard to being moved to another cabinet, there is nothing you can do. You will either remain connected to your existing cabinet or Openreach will move you if there is a need for them to do so, either way you are unable to influence anything. If you have signed up for Infinity2, I suggest you downgrade to Infinity1 as you not getting Infinity2 speed.

0 Ratings
Broomer
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Re: Should my Infinity be reconnected to a newly installed closer street cabinet?

Thanks for the reply.

If they came out to test my connection and they found that it's slow wouldn't they change to the closer cabinet to increase the speed?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

No, because unless Openreach are performing a complete re-arrangement of the underground cables in your area, you will not be able to be connected to the new cabinet.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Openreach won't change your cabinet just because your speed is low but probably still with your estimate.  It would be chaos if people could choose the cabinet they wanted connected to

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Broomer
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

My original estimation was 31mb-39mb

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

The Openreach answer to changing to another cabinet is here

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

0 Ratings
Broomer
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

That's interesting, thanks.

Maybe I will have to see if I can downgrade yet and hopefully get a dlm reset at the same time which I've just been reading about.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Before doing that can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

This will help determine if you have a fault or what you have got is as good as it gets and a downgrade would be best.

0 Ratings
Broomer
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

line test.PNG

0 Ratings