Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iain_L
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Sign-out of e-mail

Hi,

Just wondering if I had misunderstood something here.

Using webmail (and no, I'm not going to use a client on every occasion Smiley Happy) when I sign out of my account that should be it, irrespective if I have previously ticked "Keep me signed in". Manually signing out should over-ride any other settings.

I was quite surprised to see that having signed out of my account on a PC, and closed the browser, next time I went to open the browser on the same PC, and clicked on the E-mail link on BT.com, I didn't go to the log-in page, which I expected, but was taken straight to my own logged in e-mail page. This doesn't seem right to me, and very insecure.

This is using the latest edition of Firefox, with it set to delete history on exit.

Has anyone else seen this strange behaviour, or am I just being daft?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sign-out of e-mail

Is Firefox saving your password? Check at Menu (3 lines, top right) > Options > Security > Saved Passwords.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Iain_L
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

As far as I'm aware, saving passwords is not the same as performing an auto-login. For example, with the same browser settings, for Outlook.com or Facebook for example, the log-in page appears, and as soon as I start typing user name/password, the data fields are populated. I admit this isn't secure either, as anyone with my e-mail address could start typing it in, and then get access to the account.

It just seems to me to be crazy I can sign out of a page on a PC, shut down the browser, expecting that I was signed out, and anyone could then open the browser, and get straight into my e-mail.

Sign out should be just that.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

When I saw your first post I tried to replicate it. All was as you would expect with the login page that I usually use for email, but when I clicked MyBT at the top of this page and entered my BT ID, the password appeared automatically (albeit as dots) and I could access email without having entered the password manually. This persisted even if I logged out of MyBT. I found that the password was stored in Firefox and deleting it there has overcome the issue.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Iain_L
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for trying it.

In my circumstance as I administer the PCs at work (one of which has an internet connection which several people can use), I'll simply set the browser up not to store passwords at all.
0 Ratings