Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moonboots
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Signal and account error

Hi,

I dont know if this can happen but its a strange one.

I had a family sim with 2 sims and apart from the bad signal at home, outdoors was fine.

So i decided to get 2 more sims on the same family deal

Since getting the 2 sims, all 4 sims are having problems with signal outdoors as well now.

Also noticed that my account is not showing the plan etc in MyBT.

Could thre be a fault somewhere on my account that could be causing all this.

Cheers

Paul

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Signal and account error

Possibly the local cell site is nearly at capacity, and those extra sims have reduced the number of available slots, and your phones have been handed over to another cell site further away.

You may find that during off peak times, when there are fewer users on your local cell site, you may get connected to your nearest site.

You could ask  BT Mobile for a Signal Assist box, provided you have a good BT Broadband upload speed.

0 Ratings
Moonboots
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks Keith for this info.

I never thought it could of been the a capacity problem.

After speaking to the BT Mobile chat team, they have refreshed my network on the phones to see if this makes any difference.

So far it hasnt made a difference tho.

I do know the cell site was down for nearly a year but even when it got fixed, didnt see any much difference in signal.

I will speak to BT Mobile to see about a Signal Assist box as im on Infinity 2.

My signal has always been poor in the house and just outside it, when checking the coverage checker, it shows i am just on the fringe of a poor signal indoors.

With regards to my account problem, if there any mods that could look at this please.

Cheers

Paul

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

As a cell site reaches capacity for that provider, it will try to hand over new connections to the next overlapping cell site, if there is one. If there are none available, then you will get no service at all, which can happen in remote country areas.

Shared sites may have different capacity limits for each mobile provider. So on a shared EE/BT Mobile site, EE may have more slots allocated. It depends on how many slots a provider pays for.

If you look at your signal level at different times of the day, you will see it vary, even from exactly the same location.

In order to allow emergency calls, slots are always available where possible, even if your own provided has reached capacity. This is why you may see "Emergency Calls Only" , even phones without a SIM card will allow this feature, as the phone can be identified by the IMEI number, and a location obtained.

A SIM card is simply used to identify your provider and number, and to provide a platform for billing.

As you have BT Infinity, an BT Mobile, then I see no reason why you should not be given a Signal Assist box.

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/Signal-booster/m-p/1772398#M9004

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

If you have Android phones, then a free app called CellID Info will give you useful information on which site you are connected to, and you can see if it changes throughout the day.

You could also see if all your phones are connected to the same cell site.

0 Ratings
Moonboots
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi Keith,

I tried the CellID Info app you suggested but it only shows up the details, doesnt show the location etc.

I use Network Signal Info app and i can see where the cells are and my phone keeps connecting to a cell further away.

Looks like what you are saying, a capacity problem

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Moonboots wrote:

Hi Keith,

I tried the CellID Info app you suggested but it only shows up the details, doesn't show the location etc.

I use Network Signal Info app and i can see where the cells are and my phone keeps connecting to a cell further away.

Looks like what you are saying, a capacity problem

Thanks for your help

Yes, it does not show the location, but if the other app works, then that is fine.

Unless your nearest site is down, then it has to be a capacity issue. Perhaps when all the children go back to school, and turn their phones off, you may get a more local connection?

0 Ratings
Moonboots
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I have quite a few cells in my area but are all poor signals

I do connect every so often to a good cell over 1000 metres away and get near full signal and thats indoors too but doesnt stay long connected to it. It goes back to a nearer one but signal poor again.

Cell ID 3216 - get -85dBm, this is the best connection that is 1073 metres away but geting not registered on network.

Cell ID 4731448 - get -103dBm . but poor signal, maybe 1 bar at the most. 591 metres away

Cell ID 5163789 - get -127dBm, hardly a signal full stop. 215 metres away

There is 3 more cells around my area but not connecting to any of them. 2 of them are as close as 230 metres away

0 Ratings
Moonboots
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Our kids are back at school here. In scotland and still hasnt made any difference.

Who could i supply this info to to see what can be looked at. I dont think BT Mobile helpdesk would be able to help with it.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

The helpdesk should be able to supply a Signal Assist box, according to the thread I linked to.

Try them first, and post back with the results.