cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeN73
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Signal issue

After changing from Sky to bt a few weeks ago  yesterday a aerial installer visited and attached a very small aerial perhaps 18" long to the side of my house,he demonstrated the HD channels and left,earlier all the SD channels started to occasionally pixellate,I then plugged the aerial direct into my tv and both signal strength and quality were at 100 percent.As a result I phoned BT in Calcutta and was told to give the you view box a factory reset,this has seemed to remedy it,my question is this..is it worth getting the installer to 're visit to perhaps attach a bigger aerial,perhaps higher up on my house or would a factory reset have actually done anything? I am concerned that the next time the weather worsens the signal will deteriorate again,are these you view boxes prone to reception issues and will I have to constantly factory reset each time the signal dips.

Sorry for the ramble.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Signal issue

Welcome to this user forum.

@MikeN73

It could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

ou can get different values probably 6dB and 12dB. Plug it in the aerial lead going into the YouView box.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes, they are not all the same strength, which is why some channels work, and others do not.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

0 Ratings
MikeN73
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I've never heard of too much signal being a issue,I don't have a amplifier and I'm miles away from the transmitter,also wouldn't all the channels be affected as the HD ones are perfect?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@MikeN73 wrote:

I've never heard of too much signal being a issue,I don't have a amplifier and I'm miles away from the transmitter,also wouldn't all the channels be affected as the HD ones are perfect?

I am only suggesting one possibility.

Select one of the SD channels and then go into the system setting and look at the signal lever and signal quality and see what it reports.

The muxes may have different signal levels, so its worth checking mothe BBC and ITV channels.

The fact that the HD channels are fine, and the SD channels are breaking up, could indicate that the signal level is too high.

The BT YouView box can handle a much smaller signal range than your TV.

On the SD channels you should aim for a signal level of about 70-95% and a signal quality of 100%.

If its showing a signal level of 100% on SD channels, then it could be overloading.

Another related post https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Second-YouView-box-second-Freeview-picture-issue/m-p/16709...

0 Ratings
MikeN73
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your replies,the SD channels have a signal strength range of between 74-79 and steady quality of 100 percent,the HD channels also have a constant quality of 100 percent and strength 80-82,like I said I'm miles from the transmitter (Huntshaw Cross) and only have a small aerial outside,it's even pointing towards a tree about 15 feet away,since doing a factory reset it seems to have sorted itself,I'm just confused how doing a reset would sort out the signal.I have the aerial installer phoning me later about coming over again and don't want to waste his time.

Spoiler

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

That signal is about right. The factory reset must have reset some internal hardware elements, and its now decoding properly.

I am pleased you have it sorted.

0 Ratings
MikeN73
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

**bleep**,started happening again,only went on for a few seconds,bt supposed to be phoning me back later to see if last night's info helped.At a loss a bit.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

0 Ratings