cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dentexdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 62

Significant drop in speed after contract renewal of BT Infinity 2 Unlimited Broadband

Hi,

I recently spoke to BT and agreed to renew BT Infinity 2 Unlimited service for another year, however I have noticed a significant drop in speed since the renewal (05/05/16).

Please see my test results that I run speedtest BT Wholesale below.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 37.45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps

Even though My BT portal states that I am subscribed to the BT Infinity 2 Unlimited (up to 76MB) it looks like BT have applied lower Infinity 1, 38MB profile.

Prior to the renewal I was getting approx 54MB down and approx 17MB up speeds.
After logging a complaint with BT their helpdesk contacted me but they were really not helpful.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to get this resolved please.

0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 62

Re: Significant drop in speed after contract renewal of BT Infinity 2 Unlimited Broadband

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

Are you usingt test sockerpt with a new filter?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dentexdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 62

Re: Significant drop in speed after contract renewal of BT Infinity 2 Unlimited Broadband

Thanks, appreciate your quick reply.

I must point out the speed drop occured after contact renewal ie there was absolutely no hardware changes at my end.

I no longer have corded phone therefore unable to run clean line test.

BT speedtester site 1st test shows 37.50MB down, 15.50MB up and 28ms ping, the diagnostics test keeps coming up with an error therefore unable to complete.

Below are HH5 details, connected to fairly new BT master socket inc filter.

Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34732355
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 01/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:41:10
6. Data rate:18919 / 39952
7. Maximum data rate:18920 / 53623
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 10.1
9. Line attenuation:20.5 / 16.7
10. Signal attenuation:20.4 / 16.9
11. Data sent/received:184.2 MB / 1.0 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXXXXX on Exchange GOLDERS GREEN is served by Cabinet 2

Below is the snapshot of what's available in my street as per dsl checker BT site

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)64.448.718.312.3--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)47.72514.46.1--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 13--10.5 to 15.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 13Up to 1.510.5 to 15.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7--6 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 62

Your uptime is only 41 minutes and your max speed 51
You should downgrade to the new infinity1
Looks lime your SNR is high and your line has been disconnecting or has errors
0 Ratings
dentexdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 62

Short uptime is because I restarted the hub before the speed test. What should be normal SNR on the line, should I try and book a BT engineer to check it?
The fibre cabinet is approx 300m from my home.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 62

Rebooting the modem makes DLM unhappy.
Also your max rate is 53 you should downgrade to the new infinity 1
Leave the modem alone as this will penalise you. It must be always on unless someone is instructing you to reboot it
Call BT downgrade the package and start over would be my advice
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 62

I was told by BT (and confirm on here I think!) to re boot the moden and router every 6 months to re synch the max DL speed.

In honesty Ive only done this on the very odd occasion.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 62

Either way your max rate is in line with the infinity1
You dont need to pay extra
Try the diagnostics on my bt if it finds a fault by itself you can follow that route too
0 Ratings
dentexdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 62

Thanks guys. 

That probably makes sense, but I am still puzzled why the sudden drop in speed after the contract renewal.

I was fairly happy with the speed prior to 05/05/16 when I spoke to BT sales and renewed the contract.

Is it possible that BT have put me on the Infinity 1 profile but charging for Infinity 2,how can I check this?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 62

Unless of course, you require the higher upload speed. If you change to Infinty 1, your upload speed will be reduced to 10meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings