cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Sim card info shows my number as "unknown"

Go to solution

Just switched from a windows phone to android, and now have what seems to be a common issue with my sim card no knowing what my phone number is when it comes to making phone calls.

It shows my number as "unknown" when I call anybody, which is a problem with some friends and relatives who have unknown numbers automatically blocked.

In my phone settings, it simply shows "unknown" for my phone number, and you can't click to edit it. Apparently on an iPhone you can edit it yourself, but that isn't much use as I don't know anybody who owns one.

I have been on to several people at BT now, as google suggests that a call to BT will get them to send an OTA update to my sim that includes my phone number for the settings. But BT don't quite seem to grasp what it is I am asking of them sadly.

Can anybody here help please? Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Sim card info shows my number as "unknown"

Go to solution

Hi @Retrovertigo

When you used the sim in a previous handset did it work ok? 

Can you check the APN settings and send a standard text message? You can find the APN settings using the link. BT APN

Then restart the phone and see if you get a welcome text? 

Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi there

Yeah everything worked as it should in my old phone. I have just checked all those settings and they are all ok, and I can make calls and text just fine. 

I didn't receive a welcome text from BT though when first using this phone. I just had the usual message of the phone automatically setting everything up etc.

I'm really disappointed in BT as nobody there seems to even have a clue what it is I am asking for???

I keep doing tests and calling my own home afterwards, and my phone constantly shows up as "no number" which is a problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@Retrovertigo

When you send a standard text does it show the number? 

You could always order a replacement Sim. 

Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Yeah it shows my number when sending a sim. But....there is an option in sim settings to actually input your own phone number. Sadly it doesn't update the number under phone settings though.

I'm wondering if a part of the issue is that I used to be with EE and switched to BT a while back. So BT sent me a sim card, which I then had my own number transferred to. I guess that could be why the number isn't showing?

Good call though asking for a replacement sim, as it will be programmed with my number from the get go!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Have you checked the phone setting to make sure your number is not hidden by mistake?

How to withhold/hide your number in Android
  • Open the phone/dialler app on your Android phone.
  • Open the menu by tapping the three dots at the end of the search bar.
  • Select 'Settings'.
  • Click on 'Call settings'.
  • Click on 'Additional settings'.
  • One the menu has loaded, click on 'Caller ID'.
  • Now select 'Hide number'

In your case, check that its not been set to hidden.

Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Double checked those just before you replied 🙂 it was set to operator default, but changing it to "show number" makes no difference 😞 

Really appreciate your replies on a Saturday afternoon by the way!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

So people are still not seeing your number displayed?

What happens if you call your landline phone? If you do not have caller display, then dial 1471 to see if the number is read out.

Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Yeah if I call anybody it just displays as "no number". If I call my own landline, I see the same thing "no number" even if I have saved my mobile number into my home phone.

It is such a silly problem, but obviously a real nuisance when calling people who won't accept unidentified calls. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @Retrovertigo

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

Sorry that your number isn't showing in your settings and it's coming up as "unknown".  To be honest, I have no idea what is wrong.  I have been using an iPhone on Apple for quite a few years now and my knowledge of Android is extremely limited.

You can send us over your details.  We'll try and find out what needs to be done.  Replacement SIM is a good shout and may be what is needed but as I said we'll double check that for you.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie