Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Simple IP profile request, now wee bit confused, please help

You are quite some distance from the exchange, so speed is always going to be a issue.

If you can reduce the chance of any deterioration of your speed due to wiring issues, then that usually helps.

Do you have any extra internal wiring, and does your phone line come directly into your master socket from outside?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Phone line enters house above front door to a box then then runs to master socket inside living room, nothing else is attached to socket apart from my router.

I appreciate the distance to main exchange and expected lower line speed but to find that just over the road gets 4 times my speed was a bit of a shock, given them the max speed in this area and me struggling to stream films etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Are there any other wires connected to that first junction box, apart from a single cable in, and a single cable out?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 19

Just single in and single out. Length to master socket is approx 1 metre after that box

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

@ashido wrote:

Just single in and single out. Length to master socket is approx 1 metre after that box

What does the box look like? Is it in a dry location?

Was the downstream noise margin on the ADSL statistics, the same, whether you were plugged into the front socket or the test socket?

When you were plugged into the test socket, was it connected like this diagram?

Testing from "test" socket

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

It's a white box with BT on it, sitting at top of front door and should be completly weather proof.

Sure the tests were taken from the test socket with the front cover removed, but not 100% on that as was a while ago

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

If there are no other wires coming out of your master socket, apart from the one that comes from the terminal box, then testing from the test socket should give the same result as the front socket, unless there is a bad contect between the two.

So all you have is a microfilter plugged into your master socket, and the home hub plugged into the ADSL side, and a phone plugged into the other, and nothing in between?

Does the phone line sound quiet when you dial 1470 17070 and select option 2?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 19

Dont even have a phone connected to the line at the moment, did quiet test previously and sounded fine. I'll get hold of a phone tomorrow and action this and let you know the outcome

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

There maybe nothing you can do, but its a good idea to check for any stray noise or hub on the line, as it could indicate a line fault, or line inbalance.

Really its just a case of eliminating any other possible factors that may affect your speed.

0 Ratings