cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesC
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Sky HD pixellating but all other internet HD channels fine?

last night & again today I've noticed Sky Sports 1 & 2 HD channels breaking up a lot - pixellation & when picture comes back sound is very badly out of sync. All other internet HD channels ie BT Sport HD channels are fine (although a recording on Alibi HD was also affected last night).

Youview box is connected via powerline adaptors but never been a problem as I'm on Infinity 2 & get speeds of up to 70 Mbps. (I can easily watch 4k streams on the Netflix app on my TV which is connected via wifi)

When it happened last night I got a message (didn't note what the number was) about problem with internet connection which suggested resetting hub which I did & appeared to resolve the problem. I've just tried the same - resettiong hub - and seems to have rersolved the issue for now.

Any ideas what this points too? Faulty hub? And why were only Sky channels affected tonight?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Sky HD pixellating but all other internet HD channels fine?

I believe Sky Sports are streamed at a higher bit rate than BT's own HD channels. This could be why the channels are breaking up through the powerlines, and BT's are not. An ethernet connection would confirm if this is the case.

Remember that Netflix's UHD streams are unicast, and buffered. BT's streams are multicast and need a clean path between hub and box. 

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Slightly different scenario but this is what I responded to in a thread on the issue of BT Sport pictures freezing and crashing:

Happened once to me last night on the Man United Europa game. All other devices were connected but the box message said I was not connected to the internet ALTHOUGH in the Broadband Connection section of the menu it stated 'Connected'. Changed to a non-internet channel, switched back and it worked from then on.

This may have crept in along with the Next Gen software in my case as I'd never noticed this behaviour before. I'm also connected via powerlines and never have had any issues to date, nor do any of my other connected devices play up in this way. Like I said above, although I had the same onscreen message as you, the box WAS connected to the internet and a channel change 'fixed' it.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for you input folks. The weird thing was that the sound was massively out of sync with the pictures when it did work last night. In the end I reset the box & then retuned all channels which fixed the sync issue & picture was fine for whole of the Tottenham v Bournemouth match earlier with just a momentary glitch when switching to adverts at half time. Still OK so far too.

In the past the Sky HD channels have been pretty much perfect with just the rare momentary blip & I think that last time I connected a laptop to the cable going into the Youview box I got speeds in excess of 30Mbps.

I'll keep monitoring to see if it happens again.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Been checking this further as the problem reoccured again yesterday. Seems that when the problems occur, the status lights on the powerline adaptors (Commtrend 9020) show either orange or red. According to the user guide this means:

"Red: the connection speed is between 1 and 4 Megabits per second
Orange: the connection speed is between 4 and 10 Megabits per
second
Green: the connection speed is more than 10 Megabits per second"

Even when red though, HD channels like Alibi HD are fine, only Sky Sport is affected.

As this has only become a problem in the last few days, I'm not sure what the cause might be - unless the powerline adaptors are becoming faulty - not sure if they deteriorate over time?? I do have a spare brand new pair I can try if need be.

Possible temporary  broadband fault ? - although Speedchecker shows it to be generally around 70Mbps.

My son is back home staying with us for a while so has phone/ipad/laptop connected, although all wirelessly so don't know if they would have any effect?

Powerline adaptor connected to Youview box is on an extension lead, but only a basic one without a filter. Guess I could plug the Powerline direct to the mains and pluf extension lead into to it? Never been a problem before though.

If I'm getting 70Mbps though, I can't see why the speed between powerline adaptors could drop as low as below 4Mbps; our house is not exactly old....

Some more monitoring needed I think....

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

I believe the Sky Sports channels are of a higher bitrate and need a faster connection than the other internet channels.

Powerlines should always be connected directly to the mains with the extension plugged in to the passthrough socket on the powerline adapter. I'd be surprised if that wasn't mentioned in the instructions that came with the comtrends.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@robert1997 wrote:

I believe the Sky Sports channels are of a higher bitrate and need a faster connection than the other internet channels.

Powerlines should always be connected directly to the mains with the extension plugged in to the passthrough socket on the powerline adapter. I'd be surprised if that wasn't mentioned in the instructions that came with the comtrends.

Thanks, yep I thought that  was the case but as it's a bog standard extension leas (not surge protected) I wasn't sure if it mattered. I've also realised it's right next to an active sub woofer which probably doeasn't help! I'll plug it into the mains instead 😉

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 8 of 9

An update....

Plugged powerline adaptor direct in to power socket & extension lead into that. Seems to have improved things - Status light remains green now & I was able to watch Skysports 1 last night whilst recording SS2 as well.

Tonight at 6pm I did some speed tests:

Laptop connected via ethernet calbe direct to hub - around 74Mbps

Connected via ethernet cable to powerline adaptor - tested several times, results around 33% to 36%

Laptop connected via Wifi to hub, around 38Mbps

So bearing in mind I don't always get 74Mbs, might be 60% ish or lower occasionally, I guess the poweline supply to the Youview box may be less than 30% at times & before I plugged it direct into the mains socket was probably even less, although why it has become really bad over the past few days, who knows.

So, I think I'm OK for the moment, but long term I need to connect via a cable. Bit of a pain as the Youview box is diagonally opposite the hub & I have wooden flooring so it needs to go round two walls & up/over patio doors or maybe externally round the side of the house.

Some flat cable may help I guess. What's best to use these days - Cat 6 cable?

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

You would indeed experience lower speeds via powerlines. I dont experience as big a drop but it comes down to internal wiring etc.

Cat6 cables would be more than good enough.

Good luck @LesC

0 Ratings